Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yes they will.

if you have no clue on what im talking about, quickly read this thread
http://www.piranha-fury.com/forum/pfury/in...=ST&f=3&t=10278

after i moved my tank yesterday, for my new stand, drained all the water and everything, i figured what better time to redecorate the tank.... or not...

first off i'd like to say my p's are pushing 5-6" no long need hiding spots, from what i've observed.

well i moved them succesfully, and i made a big mess, but in the end i'm happy with the results. when i put them back in the tank with just gravel and a flower pot in the very centre. it is still early, but ive noticed a big difference. these things could befrom the stress of the move, the new filter current, the bare tank or from the 88 degree water i used to fill my tank up with yesterday.

-ive noticed, an increase in activity. not only do they swim activly more, they are bolting across the tank, not in a stressed sort of way. it's likethey bolt for 2 feet, then slow down. it's really weird to watch. like a car hitting 60 in 5 seconds then slowing down drasticly.i think the hiding spots slowed them down, there would be to much things in the way, so they would just cruise around in the tank. and the higer tank temp.

with the open space, the P's are making every square inch of use out of the tank, the swim to the very top and bit the bubbles on the top of the surface.

-my P's, well one of them came and took a bite out of a piece of food from my hand. ive been trying to do this for a while, and finally they are catching on. (this probly doesn't have anything to do with it, if it does its the open space.)

-its been 3 weeks since a water change.
i did a massive 60% water change, at first i emptied a good portion of water while cleaning the gravel like i usually do. then i filled up a 35 gallon garbage can to the rim with fish water. then i filled a 20 gallon as full as i could get it, maybe 15 gallons or so. i put my P's in here for 10 minutes while i moved the tank, i moved them back in asap after i put the water from the storing garbage can. not only did i do a big water change, but it needed to be done and the water i filled it with must have been close to 88degrees.

-at first i didn't see an imporvment from their behaviour from the container i had them in to the big tank, probanly as they were shocked. so i filled my tank temporarily with plants and caves for about an hour after the water change. i gave them time to become comfortable back in their home. i slowly stared taking away the plants, at first the were skittish, but the 3rd time i reach in, the were swimming around my arm in the open space. 30 minutes later, i remove the last plant no problem to me or them. there was no sign they were upset when i took everything out of the tank. they continued to act as if i didn't even reach in.

-i moved my ac500 to the other side of the tank, the way i had it before, was the ac300 and ac500 were on the same side, but the were on differnt sides of the corner, sorta making a spiril motion, and breaking the current. with the filters separated, there is a current of both sides of thie tank, and they are swimming in both now.
this is the best i could do in 5 minutes. i hope you inderstand what im saying. the lines are the waters current: (attached image)

in conclusion, it went over well, i belive if i wasn;t carefull by taking the hiding spots out one by one, slowly, then they would be scared. but as i woke up many times in the night i looked over and they were just as happy. and when i woke up this morning they were all sleeping, like they usually do, they just float around midway in the tank.
like i said though, this can be a combination of things.

everythign went over well
everything was a positive outcome so far!

any thoughts/comments/suggestions? (this post did take a long time you know!)

pic of "spiral" current:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like a great experiment
So they aren't running into the glass or anything from being scared? You have to post back in a couple of days to let us know how the results are going. I hope it works cause I plan on doing the same thing with my P's when they get bigger, but I do want to leave at least a plant and a piece of driftwood.....just it case.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just got 3 new large pygo's to go in my 180 with the other 10. Upon first release, territory fights began, so I moved to drift wood around. That helped a little, but not too much. I went ahead and created a river by dropping my 900gal/hr pump in the tank with a sponge filter and using my returns as surface disturbances. The activity level went up 500 %. They actually waited in line and took turns swimming in the current as if it were a ride. I watched for an hour before going to bed. When I got up the next morning and checked again they were still doing it. So, if this helps I think your activity level rising has to do with how you position your current. Just my over night experience. John

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts
all my tanks are bare bottom big deal :rasp: lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts