Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This guy at the lps is trying to sell me a gravel bed filter, says I need it to help with the filtration of my gravel from fish waste. I have a 125 with 2 emp 400's now. he told me to get a undergravel filter and 3 powerheads to attach to the tubes that come up from under the gravel. I dont know much about these kind but that seems like alot. any suggestions??

thanks
Ray

·
5,336 Posts
fish waste builds up underneath them quick with a large bioload (such as all piranha tanks) so basically they come back to bite you in the ass in a few months, and it will be impossible to maintain water quality unless you strore your cycled water from your tank, store your fish, remove gravel and clean underneath it.... and 3 p heads? he just wants to sell stuff to you.... good try tho on his part

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This guy at the lps is trying to sell me a gravel bed filter, says I need it to help with the filtration of my gravel from fish waste. I have a 125 with 2 emp 400's now. he told me to get a undergravel filter and 3 powerheads to attach to the tubes that come up from under the gravel. I dont know much about these kind but that seems like alot. any suggestions??

thanks
Ray
i use one on my normal smaller tank. one without pirahnas,but i have read alot of threads on this site that are against them.i am not sure why,but it convinced me not to use one on my pirahna tank. i would get a another big daddy filter to go with the 400's someone please correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Simple answer don't waste your money.....As mentioned waste and food just end up under the filter and then your water params will get all screwy...If you want additional filtration get a cannister or H.O.B and keep up on water changes...

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I lost 2 6 inch reds a few years ago because of one of these. I didn't know you had to clean under the plates and after my fish died I found what looked like mud under the plates. They just give the crap someplace to go fester, instead of coming out with the gravel vac.

I threw the thing away(didn't want to sell the disaster to someone else) and just kept the plates to use for a getto tank lid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the answers, I read up on alot of threads about filtration and found little to nothing about undergravel filters, Now I know why!! I will just get a canister or something similiar and be done with it!

thanks again
Ray

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
As stated above, they are a waist of your time and they will come back to bit you in the ass. Over time they are a NO3 trap, that can destroy your water parameters. Waste will get trapped below the plastic filter and start deteriorating

Any large canister filter or additional HOB filters will be more than enough filtration without having a UGF in there. Good try by the LFS personal to make a sale, but a bad idea for a piranha tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts