Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
you can pick up the gear for a UGF at your local LFS and it is rather cheap as well... and they only use as mush electricity as your powerhead hooked up to it consumes, so not all that mush
I have one... it also gives peace of mind :smile:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I guess I misunderstood how they worked. I thought you needed holes through the bottom of the tank for pipes. I guess they go up the side or something. My bad. Sounds like a good thing to invest in though.

·
Registered
256 Posts
get an undergravel and other filters. i have an undergravel and although i can not swear it works, in theory it does and it doesnt hurt anything. if you already have a powerhead why not pay the extra 15-20 bux??

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Sorry 45 i have taken care of fish longer than youv'e been alive. About 18 years 5 years longer than you have been alive. You don't need a ugf if you ues a canister or wet dry But for a powerfilter i would. Your tank will be more stabil. Funny that all the people who don't use them never had them or never took care of them right!!!!
Check big als out for prices on filters.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
UGF's are not good for P tanks. Uneaten food and particles get traped under the plates where they stay, decomposing, and wrecking havoc on your water parameters. I would stay away from them and get a nice canister or wet/dry filter. Much better choice IMO.

~Dj

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
InSinUAsian said:
UGF's are not good for P tanks. Uneaten food and particles get traped under the plates where they stay, decomposing, and wrecking havoc on your water parameters. I would stay away from them and get a nice canister or wet/dry filter. Much better choice IMO.

~Dj
100% agree...

That´s the reason most people use power, canister or wet/dry filter!

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Well can anybody prove that ugf's when properly cleaned create water pollution. I suggest you do research and dicide for yourself. And also, I bet you can find more pro's than con's. Goto wet web media they are bar none the best for any info about aquariums.And related topics.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ok, I agree and somewhat disagree about the whole idea of a ugf. At first I was all sorts of excited that it was gonna assist me in keeping the tank a little cleaner......but then I later realized the ugf only gets SOME of the SMALLER particles of uneaten food, etc and takes them up the tube past the air stone and back in the water so the filter can get 'em. Kind of a waste of time when it comes to the bigger chunks. but I guess it depends on what kind of substrate you use too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.