Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This book takes the cake, I decided to look at my ol fish books, the ones I got when i was 8! I decided to look for piranha in there just to see what they had to say! Keep in mind the book is called "Advanced Aquarist Guide" So maybe these statements are only true to advanced aquarists and we are all amatuers who know nothing!
this is word for word!
"Serraslmus rhombeus
Popularname White piranha or Spotted piranha
Origin South america,amazon basin
Size up to 10 inches
appearance A deep bodied, strongly compressed, olive green silvery fish, with many string teeth set in a large mouth with protruding lower jaw giving a bulldoglike look appearance.
behaviour Piranhas are aggresive to any fishes, smaller or larger than themselves. Even during transport they will attack other fishes. Best kept as single specimens. Care required when netting. Ones hand should not be placed in the tank. This fish, like other piranhas, must be kept out of reach of children. A good showpiece because of its savage reputation.
Feeding Carnivorous. Other fishes, piece of lean meat
water conditions Not critical
sexing,breeding Not bred in captivity. when a pair are brought together one will probally eat the other!"

They cant live together, the best is they have a pic of a natt, under this name! I loved the sexing breeding part! so we are all keeping piranhas for the showpiece due to its reputation! and we are not worthy of this book! Just so u know "feroze N. Ghadially" you are a douch bag and u should rot in the same dumpster this book is!

·
Registered
293 Posts
So Rhoms can live together? And when netting a piranha you just push it into the net with your free hand? And what was the title of your book? You sound like you found a Red Belly picture that should have been a black congrats... I look forward to your complete book on piranha. What will the title be maybe "Mistakes that my little knowlegde has found in a kids book I read". Ie. I found a mislabeled picture. Good job and keep us aware of any typo's you might find.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pap ? I dont get ur point! Are u making fun of me or the author of the book? which is an adult book I just bought it when I was young see here are pics of it!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I wasn't making fun at all. I respect your point. You have found a book that misrepresents piranha. That's a lot more than me for sure. That does look like a piranha there in that picture. Good work.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
This book below was published in 1966. Check out the photo of the pacu and more importantly the size the author claims the fish gets. I remember hobbyists buying these things and being upset that the book was wrong because it was only supposed to get 4 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
o cool pap, it was late when I read ur post, so I was confused..yay! lol way to go frank! u outdid me! lol 41/2 inches thats hilarious, thats how much pacus grow in a good month!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah I have a few old books salt and fresh water. Really makes you realize how technolgy has advanced in the last 30-40 years.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think technology has little to do with it, I think people who wrote fish books didnt care to know about the animals they wrote about, sure technology helps, but I think some of these a-holes are just stupid people who dont care!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I've got some older books than that one that go back into the 40's! I'll see if I can put a couple here in .pdf format. I normally reserve those for academics, but its good read for PFURY members too.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
hastatus said:
This book below was published in 1966. Check out the photo of the pacu and more importantly the size the author claims the fish gets. I remember hobbyists buying these things and being upset that the book was wrong because it was only supposed to get 4 1/2 inches.

[snapback]889106[/snapback]​
i think that he was just staing the length of the fish in the pic. mabe not

1 - 20 of 27 Posts