Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does everyone here say that you need to turnover a P tank 7-10 times a hour? Thats ALOT of filtration. P's aren't really that messy . Definitely not as much as my oscar. I agree more filtration is better, but you are starting way too high. I think 4-5 times a hour would be sufficient dependant on the number of fish in the tank.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I think filtration is an individual thing. I personally have 10+ on all my tanks. It may not be needed but it is what I choose. I have never had a problem with my water, so I go with what has worked for me in the past. If people want the minimum amount of filtration, that is fine with me, but the only advice I can give people is what has worked for me.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thats sounds about right. My rate is about at 8 on my 240 and no problems. 4-5 times I think is too low. Its like having 1 emperor 400 on a 100g. It will work but won't be suffiecient.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
The way most people look at this is if you have a high turnover rate you should have better water. I keep all my tanks at 10X or more.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
with wet drys if the rate is too high the bacteria doesnt have enough time to do its job 6 to 8 times per hour should be plenty if you have enough media

1 - 5 of 5 Posts