Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this arguement on another forum, and was wondering what you guys think.

Which of the above (in title) would win in a fight/is most dangerous. Obviously, Triggers and Puffers are SW, but use your imagination.

Only 3 smart-ass comments allowed on this thread. I would say Cichlids, but that is only because I have never kept Triggers. I heard they are deadly mean. I've heard of them goin up against Volitans and Morays.

--Dan

·
Registered
450 Posts
at my LFS they have a 6-7" trigger fish and that thing was the meanest thing i ever saw i think one on one i think it would win except for against a poison puffer which in that case both fish would prolly die

·
Registered
389 Posts
MR.FREEZ said:
DannyBoy17 said:
MR.FREEZ said:
elTwitcho said:
Oh dear god no

[snapback]952715[/snapback]​
me too
[snapback]952720[/snapback]​
What!?

--Dan
[snapback]952730[/snapback]​
its not mean to be offensive but these quess just are to practical or really worth the time to consider, and

they get asked ALL the time
[snapback]952738[/snapback]​

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it came up on a forum because they were posting about an article in National Geographic. They believe Piranha's are actually non-aggressive, but have large bellies and teeth. If fed properly, the article said they are a calm fish, whereas the others mentioned above are just badass' by temperment.

Apparently...

-Piranhas are not dangerous in the wild, only in tanks where the conditions aren't pristine.

-Puffers are only aggressive when stressed, and therefor pose little danger aggression wise, in the wild or in the tank.

-Cichlids can grow large teeth and are very aggressive both in the wild, and in tanks. (refering to Doviis, Emperors etc.)

-Triggerfish will attack anything, and can cause severe damage to a person who is SCUBA diving. In the tank, they can only be fed using a stick.

See, the main aguement I think here is that, stereotypes on a lot of fishes are way off. Piranha's in general. There was a nice long arguement (from an old forum thread I found on the other forum, in the archives. Came upon it mistakingly).

I just thought you guys might find it more interesting than the usual "Which Piranha is most deadly" thread...

--Dan

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
well piranhas recived their crappy reputaion from hollywood, i believe them for the most part to be non

aggressive, as for the other fish i dont have enough experienc to comment on the other personalities

of the fish

·
Registered
187 Posts
i would say puffer because i have had p's, puffers, and cichlids and my little puffer was the baddest ass of them all in relation to size and temperment. but that may be more of a fish to fish opinion and more than likely varies. but then again that is the same answer that is always posted on here so i'll just stick with puffers as my answer

·
^word
4,386 Posts
Trig's and flowerhorn's own :nod:

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
Piranha's aren't that aggressive, but they have the hardware to really mess another fish up. To be honest, I've often thought to myself that it's a good thing they are skittish animals who only attack the weak and dying because otherwise they'd kill off the entire amazon river ecosystem by eating everything they came across.

Having said that, I doubt a piranha is going to lay over and let something beat it to death, so you can't guage "who would win in a fight" based on aggression, because it isn't who starts the fight, it's who finishes it. And the ONLY way to know for sure is to physically put the fish together, something only an idiot or completely unethical person would do.

So I'm sorry dude, I didn't mean to bash on you or anything, it's just that it's such an impossible question to answer and it comes up all the time. You want a badass predator? Take a look in the mirror, Humans f*ck up more cichlids, piranhas, puffers and triggers than any other animal around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good reply. And no, Im not looking at for a badass predator, it was just a simple question, with alittle more to it than the common question you guys are all talking about. Im not looking for a fish that'd tear up other fish, Im looking for people off this sites opinions on the question asked.

I liked your reply tho, the end is so true. I just dont understand why some people on here throw some Cichlids into a tank with thier P's and say "Whoaaa, my P's whooped that fishes ass! What a badass mofo!" when really there is a lot more to it than that. Usually the Cichlids are entering Pirnaha territory, and are usually out numbered 4:1.

--Dan

·
Registered
232 Posts
elTwitcho said:
Piranha's aren't that aggressive, but they have the hardware to really mess another fish up. To be honest, I've often thought to myself that it's a good thing they are skittish animals who only attack the weak and dying because otherwise they'd kill off the entire amazon river ecosystem by eating everything they came across.

Having said that, I doubt a piranha is going to lay over and let something beat it to death, so you can't guage "who would win in a fight" based on aggression, because it isn't who starts the fight, it's who finishes it. And the ONLY way to know for sure is to physically put the fish together, something only an idiot or completely unethical person would do.

So I'm sorry dude, I didn't mean to bash on you or anything, it's just that it's such an impossible question to answer and it comes up all the time. You want a badass predator? Take a look in the mirror, Humans f*ck up more cichlids, piranhas, puffers and triggers than any other animal around.
[snapback]952887[/snapback]​
Stupid thread but an easy answer.....TRIGGER!!!
Not only to they have the most agressive personality they have the power and beak to back it up. Thier teeth are a solid beak, while not nearly as shap as a p's it is used to crush the shells of marine mollusks, which have a shell of calcium carbinate. They are also INCREDIBLY resilliant, far more so than puffers. As for puffers poisionint the Trigger....doubtfull. Ive seen a trigger diemboul a porcupine larger than it and it, that trigger now resides in the bio division of my college. Thier skin is also incredibly tough. WE have a 12" queen at work, ill take a feeding video.....
He destroyed the acylic QT tank....the heater and the returns.....as well as the thermometer.
Seeing and keeping all three of the proposed "contenders" that could never possibly determined as a more aggressive genus............i vote not trigger but rather MY trigger, my queen trigger.
God ive been sucked into another 3rd person pissing contest and have only myself to blame....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Goofy question I agree based on all these are great fish to own no matter what!! I have owned a wide range of piranha from red bellies,piraya,cariba and also a 10 inch rhom.
I have never had triggers because I haven't tried salt water yet. So I don't know about those to much.
But I do have a fresh water 16 inch plus Fahaka puffer. Meanest fish I have ever owned. By far. When he was about 10-11 inches I bought the 10 inch rhom and split my 180 for the two. About a month after the two were together the rhom managed to get by the divider one night im guessing because when I woke up that morning I found my rhom with about 7 quarter sized holes missing and he was hardly breathing. This was no p*ssy rhom either. He would snap up shrimp and smelt with me right in front of him before it would get half way to the bottom of the tank. Also he would come up and chase my fingers around out side the glass. He was a neat fish. But to answer your question I would put an aggressive fahaka up against any piranha and be pretty confident in the results.
The Piranha wouldn't stand much of a chance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
elTwitcho said:

[snapback]952887[/snapback]​

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, if you dont like this thread so much, don't post on it! Geeze, not that hard!

Sweet story Scolo!

--Dan

·
Registered
232 Posts
jdk79 said:
Goofy question I agree based on all these are great fish to own no matter what!! I have owned a wide range of piranha from red bellies,piraya,cariba and also a 10 inch rhom.
I have never had triggers because I haven't tried salt water yet. So I don't know about those to much.
But I do have a fresh water 16 inch plus Fahaka puffer. Meanest fish I have ever owned. By far. When he was about 10-11 inches I bought the 10 inch rhom and split my 180 for the two. About a month after the two were together the rhom managed to get by the divider one night im guessing because when I woke up that morning I found my rhom with about 7 quarter sized holes missing and he was hardly breathing. This was no p*ssy rhom either. He would snap up shrimp and smelt with me right in front of him before it would get half way to the bottom of the tank. Also he would come up and chase my fingers around out side the glass. He was a neat fish. But to answer your question I would put an aggressive fahaka up against any piranha and be pretty confident in the results.
The Piranha wouldn't stand much of a chance.
[snapback]952924[/snapback]​
If you ever go salt....try a good trigger like a Clown or queen.....you wont be dissapointed in any aspect. I will bring in feeding videos of all the contenders if possible tommarow....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
weidjd said:
Thread is

But just for no reason other than to kill, one of the larger species of trig. I am thinking like a titan trig. Huge size and teeth.
[snapback]953952[/snapback]​
I cannot stand that! Dont post! Whats the point in post something like that!? This is for people who are interested in the topic, not people who feel like giving a negative opinoin on whatr the topic is.

--Dan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts