Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
I recently treated for popeye a little over a week ago. And my question is this does treatment for popeye kill the beneficial bacteria that eat the ammonia? And will i have to recycle the tank after treatment again?
i did a 75 percent waterchange and the ph is ok now and the ammonia is 3ppm do i keep doing waterchanges 2 times a week untill cycled?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
let me tell you everything I can about "pop-eye"

also known as Exophathalmus is usually triggered by poor water conditions.
symptoms: eye protrudes from the socket and is inflamed

cause: usually environmental, rarly parasetic ( which is incurable)

treatement: correct water conditions asap. recovery may take several days.

do some frequent water changes and keep the properties correct and add a little salt just to help and you shouild be on your way in no time :smile:
good luck

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am very consious about clean water and do waterchanges religiously.
about 50% once a week. The only thing i can think of is the meds marcerin2 has caused the benifecial bacteria to die off. Has any body else had this happen? And if so what did ya do?

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
Snow it seems you add salt to everything this is the second post you said to do that. Just noticing a similarity.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
pcrose said:
Snow it seems you add salt to everything this is the second post you said to do that. Just noticing a similarity.
I generally reccomend for any illness:
a water change, and add salt - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (assuming you don't already have salt in your tank).
and a good diet.

It is a good start to curing most desieses, as good water quality is always good, and often it is bad water quality which is leading to the illness in the first place, and salt is good for curing infections, helping wounds to heal and preventing a secondary infection.

I personally always have salt in my tanks (1 tablesoppn per 5 gallons) and also the first thing I ever do when I have a problem is a 30% water change, and then I repeat the water change every 2 days untill the problem has gone, I also sometimes medicate as well.

·
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have received this problem from feeders the introduced a disease and i medicated and killed all the beneficial bacteria and 5 days after treatment had ended is when all the problems occurred high ammonia and acidic ph.
beware of meds doing so. I am realy happy to say that things are ok now.

·
5,310 Posts
Thanks acid, I used maracin2 and when done used bio spira this stuff works wonders for cycling. It is the bacteria that ya want and in 24 hrs your tank is done.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
sometimes by mixing up the gravel the tank conditions can seem to deteriorate, this is not the bacteria being killed off, but simply a sign that you are overdue on your waterchanges.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Innes said:
pcrose said:
I generally reccomend for any illness:
a water change, and add salt - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (assuming you don't already have salt in your tank).
and a good diet.

It is a good start to curing most desieses, as good water quality is always good, and often it is bad water quality which is leading to the illness in the first place, and salt is good for curing infections, helping wounds to heal and preventing a secondary infection.

I personally always have salt in my tanks (1 tablesoppn per 5 gallons) and also the first thing I ever do when I have a problem is a 30% water change, and then I repeat the water change every 2 days untill the problem has gone, I also sometimes medicate as well.
... not all the time, but is a very popular remidy

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
pcrose said:
as far as salt goes, should you use table salt, iodized salt, or special aquarium salt?
or any salt you want?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
traumatic said:
pcrose said:
as far as salt goes, should you use table salt, iodized salt, or special aquarium salt?
or any salt you want?
there is still some controvery around this topic... but i use aquarium salt that you can pick up at any LFS or even Walmart. I use the Nutrafin brand. It works wonders for me, so if you want to give that a shot I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it :smile:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
traumatic said:
pcrose said:
or any salt you want?
I use aquarium salt - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons as a normal tank condition for my piranhas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts