Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Offical P-Fury Ex-communicant
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW.

So yesterday apparently I forgot that I left the r/o water running in my 135 to top it off. I left for work and came home, got on the computer. GGs post about his almost disaster got me to want to call him about a little problem im having in my geryi tank. Long story short. After I posted in that thread I went down stairs to check on them. The entire basement was dark. odd.... I usually leave atleast one light one. Was quiet... odd cause I can usually atleast hear the filters making a noise. I walked down stairs and hear a "swoosh"... You know the sound when you step on a SOAKED carpet. My worst fear was one of my tanks busted and one of my fish were dead. I get the lights back on and realize I had left the r/o unit on ALL day. I had prob 40-50 gallons on water all over my basement carpet. I spent the entire night cleaning the water up. The I spent several hours doing mantinece today. Heres where I found the real problem. The water got into one of my extension cords and shorted out my lights. It totally fried my digital timer system ($300 system
I paid 20$ for it but I doubt im goign to be able to replace it for that price again) I think the only thing that saved my house from going up in flames is the fact I put it all gfci outlets where I plug in power for my aquariums.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
ah man that sucks. Good thing u take the proper precautions. I dont have those so im sure my whole house would have burned down. Again.

·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah man that sucks. Good thing u take the proper precautions. I dont have those so im sure my whole house would have burned down. Again.
you should see how bad the timer system fried and im guessing the short was stopped within a fraction of a second. Ill get some pics of it in a minute.

·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouchie

hmmm, its only letting me upload that one pic

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

I never leave while any of my tanks are filling back up and I never take phone calls while doing water changes cause it all distracts me far too easily and a python can spill a lot of water all over in a very short period of time.

·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes i just let the r/o run unattended to top off the tanks. Usually takes about an hour or so. This time i forgot to turn it off
never again... lesson learned.

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
Sometimes i just let the r/o run unattended to top off the tanks. Usually takes about an hour or so. This time i forgot to turn it off
Sounds like maybe one of those float shutoff valves would be a good investment!

·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[/quote]

i have one, but its used in a 50gallon bucket to make the water for water changes. I need to figure out something easy for top offs.

·
DYNOMITE!
6,671 Posts
EEk!

Sorry to hear, Exo, but glad to hear that you are ok!

Sorry about your 1 fish too

·
Banned
4,315 Posts
[/quote]

i have one, but its used in a 50gallon bucket to make the water for water changes. I need to figure out something easy for top offs.
[/quote]

Get another!

I'm surprised you have set up some fancy automatic water change system that changes a small % of your tanks' water every day.

·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am trying to figure something out Jamie but not having sumps makes it hard. When I get my big tank this xmas im def gonna have that puppy setup for auto water changes!
Unless you know some way to setup a system to feed @ 8 tanks, none w/ wet/dry filters, none drilled. I guess I could setup continous overflows on the tank and divert the overflow spill to the drain.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Damn. Sweet close call.
At the least you weren't using like a 100gallon to r/o...

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
damn man that really could have been bad there buddy.......................feel lucky for yourself<< i sure would

·
Registered
400 Posts
These situations are a piranha owners worst nightmare. Your lucky that it didnt cause greater damage to your home through an water/electrical fire. Feel sorry for you mate. Hope your luck changes next time!

·
&quot;Pygocentrus cariba&quot;
11,882 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a major pain in the ass to have to clean up all that water. At least you, the fish, and the house are okay.

G

·
this is what im afraid of in a apt, but for the digital timer system find out if they still make them, and if they do buy it and put urs in there and keep the new one then return it, < i know this is not a good thing to do but eh.

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
That sucks man, sorry to hear that.

I never leave while any of my tanks are filling back up and I never take phone calls while doing water changes cause it all distracts me far too easily and a python can spill a lot of water all over in a very short period of time.
I used to do water changes and watch a tv series on dvd or go on my computer & surf the web. I once forgot and came back and the water was just on the tip of the top of the tank. 10 more seconds and there would have been water on the floor. Learned my lesson there.

I also learned another lesson, never let a hot blond girl watch your tank when it's filling up. I had to run out and my roommates ex was like "i'll watch it for you". I just told her, all you gotta do is turn off the water when its near the top. She said "Okay I can do that." I come back to the apartment and she's like "OMG I almost flooded the apartment, I forgot to turn off the water." Lesson learned again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts