Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have experience with reds, but can different types go in the same tank together.

I used to have 10 6" red bellies in a 55 gallon all together, I got them when they were tiny. I know the 55 was small, but it was amazing how they hunted in the pack.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The only kinds that can exist with Reds are Caribe, Piraya, Ternetzi (Yellow Natt), and very very rarely a Gold Spilo. I wouldn't recommend the Gold Spilo being added to the Reds because either the spilo will kill all of the Reds or vise versa. What size tank do you have the Reds in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
piranha 13 said:
The only kinds that can exist with Reds are Caribe, Piraya, Ternetzi (Yellow Natt), and very very rarely a Gold Spilo. I wouldn't recommend the Gold Spilo being added to the Reds because either the spilo will kill all of the Reds or vise versa. What size tank do you have the Reds in?
nothing yet, I am going to set up a 55

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madspence2 said:
piranha 13 said:
nothing yet, I am going to set up a 55
I guess 4 or 5 reds will be fine then

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
madspence2 said:
Death in # said:
i am pretty sure people had cariba's and piraya with reds in the same tank
thanks, I am in upstate NY looking for some reds probably
Look on either Fishpost.com, Aquascapeonline.com, or Sharkaquarium.com. Or get them from your LFS......whatever is more conveinent for you. The three sites I named will ship to anywhere in the 48 contiguous states.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
piranha 13 said:
The max in a 55 gallon would be three. Four or five would be to crowded when they get older.
as they get older I would probably sell off a couple. I am amazed at how quickly they grow

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Ok....thats good just make sure you do sell a couple of them off or you will encounter some casualities. Yea pygos grow very fast under the right water conditions and with the right amount of feeding.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
grosse gurke said:
5 would be fine for a long time. They will let you know when they are too crowded.

Welcome to the site.
agree with both of these

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
All the Pygos can be together, it means you can shoal nattereri (reds or yellow=terns), Cariba and Piraya!

Good luck if you´re going to... but i advice to get a bigger tank...i can´t recommend more than 3 pygos in a 55g!

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
...forgot...some people has succesfully mixed Pygos with S. Spilopleura in big tanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts