Piranhas Forum banner

to decorate, or to not....

219 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ___ 
#1 ·
last night when i got home, i installed my power head and a couple fake plants....i have the plants spread around, but i took out a rock formation that allows the p's to go under and chill as a group....since ive taken that out i know there arnt really any cover spots...now they all shoal together, and seem a bit sketched....could it be due to the powerful power head?? or should i toss back in that rock formation??

#2 ·
Could be a combination of the two things... you took away their safety spot where they could go hide and now you are making them swim harder as well and that cave would have also served as a dead spot of water for them to relax in. I would say put the rocks back in and give them a few days to calm down and get used to the extra current in their tank now.

#4 ·
i have had great luck with a semi-bare tank.......a few big rocks here and there
and 2 pieces of mopani wood in the center.......i have 2 monster powerheads in there
and i am going to add 2 more for a total or 4 powerheads, i have an algee prob
but the p's love currant, at least mine do

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
With any pygo setups I've had, I always decorate the two ends, leaving the center completely clear.
This serves a few purposes...

Creates a "Balanced look"

Gives 2 distinct places for cover

Creates an area in the middle for feeding.
(I refer to the center area as "The Feeding Arena" like the Coliseum in Rome or something.):laugh:

Attachments

#8 ·
nice tank P man

#9 ·
no kidding, nice tank p man....w/o that cave in the tanki notice they swim around more (i think its due to being skittish) theres no where really for them to rest due to the power head because it creats lots of current in my tank, with it being only 16" tall it flows pretty nuts...i like the idea of no cave because i see them swimming lots instead of hiding in the cave...but how bout when they sleep i need to compose a dead spot right?

#10 ·
Thanks,
I've actually "Torn that setup down" and am now redoing it completely...
Painted the back black last week, have 140 pounds of Tahitian Moon on order (Gets here in 2 days) and am gonna kinda "Amazon out" my office.

#11 ·
last night when i got home, i installed my power head and a couple fake plants....i have the plants spread around, but i took out a rock formation that allows the p's to go under and chill as a group....since ive taken that out i know there arnt really any cover spots...now they all shoal together, and seem a bit sketched....could it be due to the powerful power head?? or should i toss back in that rock formation??
you might want to put the rocks back in so you have dead spots aswell as hidding spots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.