Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 RBPs in a 55 gallon. They're about 3 inches and anytime I walk near the tank or turn on the light they go nuts!!! Can I train them to be less timid or will that come with age?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
piranha's generally dont like bright light, so theres the light thing. And if your fish are not used to people being around they will be afraid of you, they just have to get used to it. :D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
as far as teh lighting goes try to give them cover from the light and use dimmer lights .... also befire just turning on the tank light first turn on the light in the room for a few minutes tehn the canopy light

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Try raising the water temperature a bit (to about 82 degrees); that will make them more agressive.
Other than that, you could place the tank in a high traffic area (living room): this makes them get used to human presence faster, and they'll get bolder quickly.

About the lighting: my reds aren't skittish at all, but when I turn on or off the canopy lights, they keep freaking out, and start hurling themselves into the tank glass, rocks etc. :veryangry: I guess they'll never snap out of that completely...

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I think the obvious question is how long you have had them. The P's are gonna need soem time to get adjusted to their new environment, and you.....so with some patience they will be killers soon

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
xenon's right it can take months for them to get used to there tank. I put some paper under the lights to dim them, but only if you have lights that make little or no heat. it could catch on fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts