Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make it so that my lights are on my tank for 8 hours a day, and they turn off automatically. Also, I want to have a timer on my air pump so that bubbles come out every like 5 seconds instead of constantly. I think that would look cool. How do I do it, what is the product called, how much does it cost, will you give me yours?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I bought a timer that is in 30min intervals for about $9 for my lights and they are on for 12hr a day

the every 5 sec thing will be tough to find, and itll cost you more I am sure, if you were an electrical engineer you could make one probably with some combo of capacitors and resistors, and such, but for a normal person to design that

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just use a regular old timer that you can get almost anywhere to turn my lights off and on...like mentioned above,a 5 second timer will probably be tough to find.

·
Registered
502 Posts
As for the 5 second timer, I had the same problem. I only wanted some air bubbles from my venturi, not a whole bunch. So what I did was to get the air pump with air tubing running to the venturi in the powerhead, then I tied a knot in the air tubing to my liking, and let her run. The bubbles can be adjusted according to how tight the knot in the air tubing is... hope it works!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
hareball said:
if you put a timer on your airpump make sure you have a check valve on your airline.
why?

I assume you mean it will suck water out via vaccuum, but mine never did when I used them
I have one airstone that would create a syphon in a very sort time and flood the air pump with water. I had to put a check valve so it wouldn't syphon during water changes. but 5 seconds shouldn't matter.

try a christmass tree light flasher for that instead of a timer.

G

·
Sir Nathan XXI said:
hareball said:
if you put a timer on your airpump make sure you have a check valve on your airline.
why?

I assume you mean it will suck water out via vaccuum, but mine never did when I used them
that's why.

it can happen. for $1 it's the best insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts