Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well most of you know i have a new irritan. just look in my sig.
anyways, i might be getting rid of the gay ass fish in the 20 gal finnally because i think i found a place that will take them......if i do get rid of them i think i might put the rhom back in the 20 gal. This is for a couple reasons.....

A. The rhom has already lived in the 20 gal so he would already be somewhat comfterable.

B. I dont want to stress out the Irritan too much by moving him to another tank only a day after he got here. I think the less stress would be if his tank just expanded.

C. The irritan Swims more than the rhom. Even though the rhom is about 3 inches and the irritan only 2, it would make sense, to me anyways, to give the irritan more room since he would use it.

D. The irritan would end up in the 55 gal for life anyways so why have him move to the 20 when he can just spend his whole life here getting accostumed to the 55.

Those are my thoughts........what do you guys think??? The onyl thing that makes me doubt putting the rhom in the 20 is that he is an inch bigger, but if he doesnt swim much at all then what does it matter???? O ya and i will be getting another 55 soon hopefully but for sure within the next 6 months.....

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
who havent i given a chance to???? the fish im getting rid of are 2 needlenose and 2 pike chiclids..... so i dont want chiclids, all those fish were cool at first but i dont have room and i like my serras. better than them so

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
ok, I thought you meant the irritan you just got was the "gay ass fish" you were talking about.

I think both would def benefit with a larger tank no doubt. But which fish to stick in the 20? I'd go irritan, mainly because they stay small, but the rhom may be more active in the 55 than in the 20.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
traumatic said:
ok, I thought you meant the irritan you just got was the "gay ass fish" you were talking about.

I think both would def benefit with a larger tank no doubt. But which fish to stick in the 20? I'd go irritan, mainly because they stay small, but the rhom may be more active in the 55 than in the 20.
[snapback]822808[/snapback]​
see thats what i thought but the rhom was in the 55 for a few weeks and was not active really at all compared to the irritan who has been in there for 25 hours and is pretty damn active and wil only continue to be more so.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
traumatic said:

[snapback]822808[/snapback]​
I agree completely I have many rhoms and they really love their space. More space = more active and more area for the fish to protect and feel comfortable in. Rhoms also like alittle competition. it makes them more aggressive.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
u have to give the rhom more time to acclimate to his surroundings. think about it u picked the fish up threw him in a completly different environment and expected him not to be scared. my irritan took 2 months to get used to his tank. give him some time. i would personally go out and get another 55 so u have 2. dump the 20g i dont think that it is big enouhg for either fish. the rhom u r going to have to upgrade anyway to a larger tank. my irritans r both in 55g and they have more than enough room to swim and r very active.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shoe997bed263 said:
u have to give the rhom more time to acclimate to his surroundings. think about it u picked the fish up threw him in a completly different environment and expected him not to be scared. my irritan took 2 months to get used to his tank. give him some time. i would personally go out and get another 55 so u have 2. dump the 20g i dont think that it is big enouhg for either fish. the rhom u r going to have to upgrade anyway to a larger tank. my irritans r both in 55g and they have more than enough room to swim and r very active.
[snapback]823828[/snapback]​
well i see your point however maybe if you knew the situation a little better you would understand more........ i wont be getting another tank for a while possibly not even until summer in which then i will get a 75 most likely...... if i had my way i would just by a 40 gal and put the irritan in there and keep the rhom in the 55 until he out-grows it. Unfortunantly my mom wont let me put another tank in my room and she wont let me put one in the basement until my basement is finished which wont be for another 4-6 months anyways. i would much rather see them both in big tanks...... However this cannot happen as of this moment in which case if the 20 gallon clears up it would be much better to put one of them in the 20 gallon and on in the 55 rather than keep them divided in the 55. And my rhom is acclimated to his half of the 55 but is a lot more aclimated in the 20 gallon and either way he hasnt swam much at all, hes just no very active. on the other hand i have this brand new irritan who, on the thrid day, was swimming around all the time and eating......thats why im thinking irritan stays in 55, after that will be his life tank so why move him out.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cobra said:
doesnt the irritan only reach like 6 inches? Y not just get him a 33gal? thats wat my friend did with his 5 inch sanchezi and its fine.
[snapback]827380[/snapback]​
yes an irritan only gets like 6 inches........but a 33 gallon, no. Some people will say an irritan could fit in a 33 gallon for life others say it could not.... It just depends who you ask i guess. IMO an irritan could stay in a 33 for life but he will be miserable. Especially with the way my irritan is who swims all the time i would never keep him in a 33 for life. and besides, i cant get another tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.