Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
My new Elong I got last night is swimming really really wierd...When I walk into the room he always is facing nose down with his tail up almost like this /...I walked in like around 10 this morning and he was flipped over and right when he saw me he turned over and started swimming fine. Everytime he stops moving he seems to go into the /...It doesnt appear that he is gasping for air, its just he is swimming technique is scaring me.

What is wrong? I did a 30-40% water change today when I saw him acting up but still...Tank has been up and running for a long time seeing how it was holding my reds for almost 4 months.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
My new Elong I got last night is swimming really really wierd...When I walk into the room he always is facing nose down with his tail up almost like this /...I walked in like around 10 this morning and he was flipped over and right when he saw me he turned over and started swimming fine. Everytime he stops moving he seems to go into the /...It doesnt appear that he is gasping for air, its just he is swimming technique is scaring me.

What is wrong? I did a 30-40% water change today when I saw him acting up but still...Tank has been up and running for a long time seeing how it was holding my reds for almost 4 months.
did nothing wrong man...in my honest opinion...i think he was just sleeping...my caribe sleep nose down, and if i come in and turn the light up earlier then 10 (i usually do at like 11-12) they're all nose down, scurrying, running into things....i think he was just sleeping

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
A swim bladder issue here maybe-I'm not sure I'm completely understanding you sir!!!!

Or maybe i completely misunderstood your question all together-

A swim bladder issue here maybe-I'm not sure I'm completely understanding you sir!!!!

Or maybe i completely misunderstood your question all together-:rasp:
Why yes it seems that i have-Sorry

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to add, when I walk in the room he swims perfectly fine and doesn't do the /...It is only when I am not in the room watching him!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If he eats and is active then I really wouldn't worry as long as he isn;t belly up. Whats the water like and is there anything else in the tank with him( Driftwood). And some times its air in there bladder also but I have never seen this heard about it from Fish store owners.

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,370 Posts
my vote says he was sleeping,,, are u new to piranhas?

or mabe shy

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he eats and is active then I really wouldn't worry as long as he isn;t belly up. Whats the water like and is there anything else in the tank with him( Driftwood). And some times its air in there bladder also but I have never seen this heard about it from Fish store owners.
I gave him 3 small feeders today and he ate them in under 30 seconds...There are rocks, driftwood in the tank I just took out my huge driftwood so I could get a better pic though.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think he is probably fine, if he was in that position, and kept floating up to the top, then I would worry, but if he is doing it in place, it is more than likely nothing bad atm. Like I told you on the IM, turn up the heat in the tank to about 85 and put in some salt, also look for some prazipro, it's good 2 have with serras anyway. also keep him under observation for signs of serious illness.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Little update...Just walked into room and he wasn't nose down. I don't think it is bad swim bladder because he isn't floating to the top. The guy at the LFS yesterday told me this guy will only eat live, but I am going to change that...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
wow 7 members viewing this..not bad...................quarentee'n the feeders if you have too...plus lots of LFS say its alright to feed them feeders (which they have absoloutley no nutritional value what so ever)...grow your feeders up on bloodworms or something..then they will be healthy

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
Little update...Just walked into room and he wasn't nose down. I don't think it is bad swim bladder because he isn't floating to the top. The guy at the LFS yesterday told me this guy will only eat live, but I am going to change that...
what moron told you that???? was it the old guy?

the fish will eventually take prepared foods like pieces of shrimp once it realizes thats the only thing its got to eat........ it wont starve itself so just keep feeding it shrimp or fish fillets pieces. and if it doesnt eat them in a half hour or hour take it out again and try a new piece the next day. train the fish, dont let the fish train you.

go leafs go

also throw in a powerhead for some current for him to swim in.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

the fish will eventually take prepared foods like pieces of shrimp once it realizes thats the only thing its got to eat........ it wont starve itself so just keep feeding it shrimp or fish fillets pieces. and if it doesnt eat them in a half hour or hour take it out again and try a new piece the next day. train the fish, dont let the fish train you.

go leafs go

[/quote]
Na it was the guy who had been feeding it since they got it...I got a power head in already, I will try shrimp and fillets next feeding!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

go leafs go

[/quote]

leafs suck for one thing bud...even tho im from canada (winnipeg) i love the redwings......all the nutsacks that tell you is PERFECTLY 100% fine to feed them feeders...slap them

·
Registered
652 Posts
gooo WINGS baby!!! and ya my lfs told my that when i bought my 2 little rbp i was like ya ok well ill change that.

lfs dont know sh*t really about p's

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
how big or gph is the powerhead.......seems to me that maybe you need more currant
in there to activate his swimming

also......no more feeders

1 - 20 of 25 Posts