Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently i have a 125 gallon tank which houses my 10 RB Piranha's - i've had them for about 9 months and to be honest they are not what i had hoped for. they are cool and neat to look at. but i really love feeding time and i dont get the satisfaction from feeding them. i have to sneak up to the tank to feed and stand back to watch.
im sure if i was to not feed them for 3 or 4 days things might be different, BUT i dont want to starve them and want to avoid fights and any dead animals.

i really do like Oscars, the size and hungry ness. but perhaps they arent too active.

i want a tank that has MIXED fish - i was thinking something along the lines of maybe:

Arrawannas?
Red Devils
Jaguar Cichlids (saw a large one at the lps toady..looked AWESOME)
Peacock bass
Gars
even i was considering local caught Largemouth bass. / pike/ sunfish

can anyone offer and help /suggestions here?

pictures wil be appreciated too

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been doing some research on this forum the past few hours...its addicting.

i really love the look of Managuense Jags.
Dovii's look really neat too.
and a red devil, and Oscar.

would that make a cool tank: Dovii, Jag, Red Devil and an Oscar??

i would obviously be buying them small and was wondering would it be in my best interest to buy all my new fish at the same time and let them grow together. and possibly upgrade tanks / sell off fish

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that each fish has its own personality, but i figure if i get 3 or 4 big fish and keep the more active ones outta those that would be a good start.

i just need to decide on what species to mix together?

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
get african cichlids if you want high activity.

but the way you seen to be leaning i think jack dempsey's and green terrors would be a good mix for you not over agressive and also nice colours and active fish. and maybe also a small pair of convicts once the other have a bit of size on them.

i dont suggest red devils or midas if you want around 4 or 5 fish tho because quiet often you can only keep a pair if you are lucky in one tank and thats if the male isnt too agressive or else you might end up with only one.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i really love the look of Managuense Jags.
Dovii's look really neat too.
and a red devil, and Oscar.

would that make a cool tank: Dovii, Jag, Red Devil and an Oscar??

i would obviously be buying them small and was wondering would it be in my best interest to buy all my new fish at the same time and let them grow together. and possibly upgrade tanks / sell off fish
From the list above the oscar is your best bet for having tankmates. Second is jaguar, but the tankmates must be smaller and not a threat or the jag will relentlessly kill it.
Dovii and red devil/midas are from my experience are plain nuts, attacking everything in the tank and outside the tank.
However if you want a very aggressive fish and exceeds RD/midas IMO, go for a male dovii. But be prepared to house it solo or it will do it for you.

Heres the pros and cons from my opinion on male fish only.

1) Dovii -- No comparison, for pure aggression and speed, looks like a fish on steriods (full of hate and anger).

2) Red devil/midas -- are also very aggressive, but the downside is most people that dont know any better will keep asking you if its a goldfish?

3) jag -- is somewhat mellow for a large guapote, I call it a dovii not taking steriods. They are also very beautiful with some intrequit pattern.
4) oscar -- not my cup of tea, good chance of having tankmates.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
125g, my ideas

1.) 1 dovii, you can start with a couple but one dovii only in that tank when they start reaching adulthood and even then a tank upgrade in a year or two would be good/needed.

2.) Jag, you could keep one in there for life with no issues and might be able to keep one or two smaller things in there but almost as bad as dovii in aggression so don't count on it. Might end up being solo with a jag in there.

3.)RD, working a pair in there would be tricky but you could again try one with one or two smaller fish and see if they're bothered.

4.)You could do a trio of Frontosas or a crapload of smaller africans(best idea imo for what you want)

5.)No arrowanas/gars/peacock bass, in fact don't even attempt peacock bass or arrows unless you are 100% you want/can afford/have room for 300g+ AT LEAST.

6.) Largemouth would outgrow that tank I think, sunfish aren't a bad idea you might want to look into them. Or warmouth's if you can get them.

Oscars I didn't cover and are great fish, not wicked aggressive but smart enough to recognize you and your best chance of having a "ca/sa community" tank. As said above you could get an oscar/gt combo maybe or oscar/jack dempsey combo going maybe.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
2.) Jag, you could keep one in there for life with no issues and might be able to keep one or two smaller things in there but almost as bad as dovii in aggression so don't count on it. Might end up being solo with a jag in there.
I agree with this. Jags (managuense) can, and often are as nasty and unsociable when adults, as dovii. Afterall, they are guapotes. The have the huge mouths, size and teeth to do real damage to tankmates.
Adult dovii are a given (or should be) as solo kept adults.

Any managerie of South and Central American cichlids in one tank can, and will, lead to fighting, A 125g is nowhere near big enough to house big, dominant cichlids happily with no ramifications. Problems WILL occur...garaunteed.

If me, I would try...one arrowana, one South American cichlid (oscars especially, dempsey, severum ect.) and maybe some kind of catfish...other than the Redtail. An arrowana though, may eventually require a bigger tank.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think if you're starting with all small fish(4" or less) then you can get all of them together(Jag, Oscar, Dovii, etc..) in that 125 gallon. The arrowana I would personally stay away from because they get so big, but that is just my preference. Now, to add onto what others have stated.... In my experience and what I've researched about dovii, they are very timid when alone in a tank, and would probably bore you. But when kept with atleast one tank mate or more I've noticed that they are alot more active and in your face. I've kept way more Jags and Red Devil/Midas' over the years and just about all of them have been aggressive and active, whether they were alone or in a tank full of fish. So based on what it sounds like you're interest is, I think you could go with a community tank with any combination of the cichlids or a solo tank with a large Jag or large RD/Midas....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help here - it is taken into heavy condiseration and appreciated.

i am making the trip to the local pet shop tomorrow to see what kind of value i will get for trade in of my Pirannaha's they are all about 6-7inches in size.

they have 4 3" Jags there for $12.99 ea (Canadian Dollars). or they have 1" Jags for $2.99 each.
i was thinking of buying up 3 of the 3" Jags and a tiger oscar just to see what happens. of course i would get rid of them as needed. my sister has a 200gallon tank with 3 oscars in it so the O can go there if need be.

the reason for buying 3 Jags is because i REALLY do want a male. i dont know how to sex them yet or know what im looking for in colours but i figure 1 in 3 there is a good chance.

right?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thanks for all the help here - it is taken into heavy condiseration and appreciated.

i am making the trip to the local pet shop tomorrow to see what kind of value i will get for trade in of my Pirannaha's they are all about 6-7inches in size.

they have 4 3" Jags there for $12.99 ea (Canadian Dollars). or they have 1" Jags for $2.99 each.
i was thinking of buying up 3 of the 3" Jags and a tiger oscar just to see what happens. of course i would get rid of them as needed. my sister has a 200gallon tank with 3 oscars in it so the O can go there if need be.

the reason for buying 3 Jags is because i REALLY do want a male. i dont know how to sex them yet or know what im looking for in colours but i figure 1 in 3 there is a good chance.

right?
Buying 3 is a good chance. Sometimes people will buy 6 to make sure depending if that species has a good male/female ratio in the fry or not. But I think for jags starting with 3 will be fine.

If you go to the store and you see some in the 3-4"+ range. You might notice some are a darker/deeper gold, I believe those will the the males. Females should be lighter gold color.

I think you're plan sounds good. Hope you get a tolerant jag and it works out. I've heard of some that were and some that well weren't.

·
Registered
524 Posts
In my experience and what I've researched about dovii, they are very timid when alone in a tank, and would probably bore you. But when kept with atleast one tank mate or more I've noticed that they are alot more active and in your face.
:laugh:

Serrapygo has one that's oh so boring... And mine well was so boring it gave it's tankmates behind a divider the "I'm going to beat you to death and eat you charge"

[/quote]

I totally disagree on the above comment. My male dovii at 7" is crazy mean, it wont tolerate any tankmates -even common plecos. Its territory extends a few feet outside its tank. Waving my hand 4 feet from its tank, have him charging/ramming the tank at full force. This dovii has been like this since it was around 4".
Ive also raised a dovii, before that was 3" and just as aggressive as this one or even worse. But it turn out to be a female, and this male end up killing it overnight.
From my experience, the doviis are the most entertaining fish that I have ever kept. In short I described it a fish that is very, very aggressive and an smart one.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
In my experience and what I've researched about dovii, they are very timid when alone in a tank, and would probably bore you.
And out come the dovii defenders....this statement couldn't be more the opposite of true. I have heard of reclusive dovii juveniles...but only when kept with other dominant fish. On their own, juvenile, sub-adult, or adult, they are as entertaining as a pet fish can get.

Good choice on selecting a parachromis dovii though, they are great fish!

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Go for the larger individuals of a bunch if you want males. They tend to be bigger than the females at most ages (but not always). I find this out the hard way when I pick out a healthy group of larger fish that turns into a cichlid weiner party

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.