Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I KNOW TO SOME OF YOU THIS MIGHT SEEM LIKE A SILLY QUESTION BUT WILL PIRANHAS GO AFTER YOUR HANDS IF YOU ARE CLEANING A TANK MOVING DECORATIONS OR IF YOUR NEPHEW JUST DECIDES HE WANTS TO STICK HIS HAND IN THE TANK????????

·
Registered
511 Posts
I clean my tank all the time (putting hands into tank to gravel vac and move decorations) they have always move to the other side when i clean.. they are scared of my hands in the tank it has hever been a problem to put hands in tank....

i have 6 red bellies in a 55 gallon.. i think that it all depends on the kind of pirahnas you are about to buy. Red bellies are skittish at nature and usually run from human contact.

If you were planning on getting a rhom or something of that nature i have seen that they chase people's fingers OUTSIDE of the tank, so just imagine what would happen INSIDE the tank.

I think it has to do with what kind of pirahnas you are willing to buy.... i do not know that much about pirahnas but Red Bellies are fine in my book if you are scared about getting bit when cleaning or just putting hands in the tank

p.s. - my red bellies have never even came close to biting me. Good luck in making your purchase, but if you want advice i would say to buy Red Bellied piranhas. good luck

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
piranhas are very unpredictable just when you start getting comfortable with having your hands in the tank is usually when you get bit. but it WILL happen if you let it

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
heffer2028 said:
I clean my tank all the time (putting hands into tank to gravel vac and move decorations) they have always move to the other side when i clean.. they are scared of my hands in the tank it has hever been a problem to put hands in tank....

i have 6 red bellies in a 55 gallon.. i think that it all depends on the kind of pirahnas you are about to buy. Red bellies are skittish at nature and usually run from human contact.

If you were planning on getting a rhom or something of that nature i have seen that they chase people's fingers OUTSIDE of the tank, so just imagine what would happen INSIDE the tank.

I think it has to do with what kind of pirahnas you are willing to buy.... i do not know that much about pirahnas but Red Bellies are fine in my book if you are scared about getting bit when cleaning or just putting hands in the tank

p.s. - my red bellies have never even came close to biting me. Good luck in making your purchase, but if you want advice i would say to buy Red Bellied piranhas. good luck
[snapback]875938[/snapback]​
i've had rhoms, spilos, reds and cariba. and by far my cariba have me second guessing and skittish about putting my hands in their tank :nod:

·
Registered
511 Posts
fiveo93 said:
i've had rhoms, spilos, reds and cariba. and by far my cariba have me second guessing and skittish about putting my hands in their tank :nod:
[snapback]875941[/snapback]​
like i said before.. i do not know that much about pirahnas but from what i know.... red bellies do not attack your hands when put into the tank.

p.s. - dont quote me on this

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
heffer2028 said:
like i said before.. i do not know that much about pirahnas but from what i know.... red bellies do not attack your hands when put into the tank.

p.s. - dont quote me on this

[snapback]875943[/snapback]​
had to do it :rasp:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS FOR THE INPUT i AM NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF PIRANHA I AM GOING TO GET YET BUT AM VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING SOME I GOT KINDA BORED WITH MY CICHLIDS. I JUST WANT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. i COULD ONLY IMAGINE THE FIGHT ME AND MY SISTER WOULD GET INTO IF MY NEPHEW LOST A FINGER TO MY PIRANHA

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
BTC Posted Today, 12:31 AM
THANKS FOR THE INPUT i AM NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF PIRANHA I AM GOING TO GET YET BUT AM VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING SOME I GOT KINDA BORED WITH MY CICHLIDS. I JUST WANT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. i COULD ONLY IMAGINE THE FIGHT ME AND MY SISTER WOULD GET INTO IF MY NEPHEW LOST A FINGER TO MY PIRANHA
My children were raised around piranas, and their children (my grandchildren) are around piranas. My advice, get a tight fitting lid, teach your youngsters the danger of putting their hand in the tank. You teach your child not to put hand on flame, so it is with the pirana in a fish tank. I put my hand into a tank with a dozen 10 inch P. nattereri's. Never was I bitten except when I caught one in my hand after it bit through the net. Carelessness can get you hurt. Be cautious but not afraid.

Good grief, can't believe I added a NOT when I wrote it this way; teach your youngsters the danger of not putting their hand in the tank. Sorry about that.
Top is re-edited.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
I dont see any real reason to be afraid of them. They often will be very skitish when a hand is in the tank. Just take this into consideration. ANY animal can attack or bite ANYONE at ANY time. Just as mentioned above caution should always be taken when handleing or in the same environment with any animal.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the P's are at more risk of the children as in I have 2 boys that are quite active and will be frequently running all over the place...My tank is in what my apt would consider as a family room...With this location and the somewhat skittishnish of piranhas, Iam constantly on my boys to remind them to carry a calmer manner around the tank as to not freak the fish out...If possible choose a low traffic area in your house if you're going to consider some Piranhas

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Atlanta Braves Baby! said:
I dont see any real reason to be afraid of them. They often will be very skitish when a hand is in the tank. Just take this into consideration. ANY animal can attack or bite ANYONE at ANY time. Just as mentioned above caution should always be taken when handleing or in the same environment with any animal.
[snapback]875971[/snapback]​
good answer.... and remember PIRANHAS are not domesticated and are very UNPREDICTABLE .... even tho they seem skittish and scared u nnever know when they can attack

·
Registered
457 Posts
heffer2028 said:

[snapback]875938[/snapback]​
Yah my biggest rb chases my finger outside of the tank.

and five0.... nice car.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i think that if u educate your boys on piranha's there wont be a problem. my one irritan chases my fingers and i respect him when i am cleaning his tank. although i do not want to get bit i undestand by having a wild animal as a pet there r always risks. welcome to pfury by the way. you have just joined the best aquarium resource on the net.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
keep in mind the REAL risk here is having hundreds of pounds of water behind glass on a stand. it's imperative that you teach kids not to collide with it, roughhouse next to it, curiously use it to hold onto while they look, etc. that's what i truly stress when kids are around because i don't want anyone to get crushed or cut by shattering aquarium glass. piranhas are like any other wild animal and you need to tell kids that. they don't have arms or legs to use if they get scared so they have mouth and teeth. i too work in my tank with several p's of several species and that doesn't make it a good idea by a long shot. my young rhom bum-rushed my hand the other day and he's the most skittish piranha i've ever seen. he's never done anything like that and he was just scared while i was cleaning. i would vote him my least likely p to do that before it happened. you can't "turn your back on them is all". you never know and you need to show kids the proper way to enjoy p's, i.e. no hand in tank, etc. setting a good and safe example while they're arond is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
my daughter is 3 years old and from the moment she started to understand words i was telling her not to touch the tank, she cant reach the lid to open it and she wouldnt anyway as she has always been around piranha tanks since birth , she looks at them for hours but never touches , so as been said before if u teach them about the dangers then they shouldnt do it , my p's have never bitten me either always swim away as also has been said before , but do be cautious around them in there enviroment as they COULD turn on you if frightened or feel threatened ....good luck

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
IMO, you should be more worried about the kids running into the tank

Most piranhas are more afraid of you then you are of them.

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
It really depends on the child. It is not the fish that will go after the child, more likely the child will go after the fish....and should he corner one in the tank there is a very good chance he could get bit. People that are talking about them putting their hand in the tank are not trying to catch these fish like a curious child might.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
if you put a tight fitting lid on the tank then their shouldnt be too much of a problem with them getting bit, maybe you could show them a feeding session and tell them that what just went on could happen to their hand if they put it in the tank?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts