Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my miniature schnauzer Billy passed away on monday, he was going to turn 12y/o on the 12th
. Now I need a new companion and I'm thinking about getting another schnauzer or an english bullldog, I've always liked bulldogs but I have never owned one or known anyone who does, so I have a few questions about them:

1) Do they smell? I'm talking about their coat as well as about the fact that I've read that they pass a lot of gas, is it really that bad or just like any other dog?

2) How much care do they requiere due to their coats? schnauzers don't shed so I'm not used to this, is it a once a year thing or what? also, I've read that you have to take care of the wrinkles on their faces, is this true?

3) Do they drool a lot? would your pants get all dirty if they were to rest their heads on your lap, for example?

4) I've read that they are known to have some health problems, is it the norm or just a by-product of poor breeding practices? (something that could be avoided by getting the bullie from a reputable breeder). I know that any dog can get sick, but I'm talking about genetically transmited diseases.

5) Character: what are they like? are they as loving and easy going as everyone says they are? are they hard to train?

Well, I think that covers it for now, feel free to add any other info/experiences, pics of your dogs would also be nice.

Here's a pic of Billy, RIP old friend:
View attachment 128800

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
sorry to hear your dog died.

my uncle has an english bull dog and she drools a lot. She is an extremely intelligent dog and she likes to play. sometimes when she plays she gets a little over excited and will knock over little kids (10 years old and younger).

·
Registered
726 Posts
just watch out for their wrinkles because since they drool you have to wipe those out like every day otherwise they can get infected

·
Don't f*ck with the fairy.
5,147 Posts
Haven't had one myself but I have friends who do, and know a couple of breeders.....

1) Do they smell? I'm talking about their coat as well as about the fact that I've read that they pass a lot of gas, is it really that bad or just like any other dog?

They can get quite a doggy odor. You must care for their facial wrinkles or they can develop fungus and bacteria in them, I know of several that need frequent ear care, and yes- the gass is bad, and its worse than your average dog (same goes for french bulldogs, boston terriers, and pugs. there's just something about smush faces and gas!)

2) How much care do they requiere due to their coats? schnauzers don't shed so I'm not used to this, is it a once a year thing or what? also, I've read that you have to take care of the wrinkles on their faces, is this true?

They shed and have rather fine hair. They don't shed as much as say a Lab, but they don't retain their coat like a terrier or a breed with constantly growing hair (say, a Poodle). Its pretty much a steady light shed, and then possibly, depending on the dog and the temperature, a bi-yearly blowing of the coat. As for the wrinkles, see above.

3) Do they drool a lot? would your pants get all dirty if they were to rest their heads on your lap, for example?

Depends on the Bullie. I know a very few that don't drool, I know more that do drool. Funny you should mention this... I know a Giant Schnauzer that drools worse than any Mastiff or Bullie i've ever met!

4) I've read that they are known to have some health problems, is it the norm or just a by-product of poor breeding practices? (something that could be avoided by getting the bullie from a reputable breeder). I know that any dog can get sick, but I'm talking about genetically transmited diseases.

Have fun finding a reputable breeder. Most show breeders don't even go to the lengths that need to be taken with this breed! Look for someone who does testing on the parents to the tune of: OFA hips, knees, and elbows. Someone who does endoscopic checking of soft/elongated palates, lateral spine x-rays for defects, etc. Bullies just tend to be more prone to this stuff, but you CAN avoid it, it just takes some doing - and it can be expensive.

5) Character: what are they like? are they as loving and easy going as everyone says they are? are they hard to train?

Very loveable and easy going, but like any breed they must be properly socialized. They can be EXTREMELY stubborn when it comes to training! They are usually as a whole not a very hyper breed, although each dog is an individual and should be treated as so.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Very loving and loyal dogs. The health problems do indeed come from poor breeding practices. They only slobber after drinking, since they stick their whole face into the dish. Females weigh about 50 to 55lbs. and males 55+. Their life expectancy is only about 8 years also. I had mine for 3 years now and she has only come down with a skin rash, which was cured after a week with some prescription meds. The dog odor is not any different than any other dog, just bathe once in a while and use baby wipes to keep the wrinkles clean. Awesome dogs that get alot of attention when you take them out in public. Just make sure you buy from a reputable breeder. If you like smaller dogs try looking into a french bulldog.

·
5,147 Posts
Very loving and loyal dogs. The health problems do indeed come from poor breeding practices. They only slobber after drinking, since they stick their whole face into the dish. Females weigh about 50 to 55lbs. and males 55+. Their life expectancy is only about 8 years also. I had mine for 3 years now and she has only come down with a skin rash, which was cured after a week with some prescription meds. The dog odor is not any different than any other dog, just bathe once in a while and use baby wipes to keep the wrinkles clean. Awesome dogs that get alot of attention when you take them out in public. Just make sure you buy from a reputable breeder. If you like smaller dogs try looking into a french bulldog.
I can recommend you to some EXCELLENT french bulldog breeders, however i'm not so sure how they'd be about shipping down to venezuela.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can recommend you to some EXCELLENT french bulldog breeders, however i'm not so sure how they'd be about shipping down to venezuela.
Thanks for the offer but that would be out of the question, it would be too expensive. Ill have to do my best to find a good breeder here.

One of my main concerns is the drooling aspect, mostly because I live in an apartment with my family and I think my mom would kick me out if I get a dog that will drool all over the place, my schnauzer rarely drooled except for when he was panting a lot (because of excersie or hot weather), I'm trying to find out if bullies do it ocationally or if it is something they do all the time.

thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

·
5,147 Posts
any short faced breed you need to be especially careful of heat... i'm not sure they'd exactly do well in the enviornment you're in - tropical right? high humidity and heat are NOT A bullie or bullie-type-breed's friend.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any short faced breed you need to be especially careful of heat... i'm not sure they'd exactly do well in the enviornment you're in - tropical right? high humidity and heat are NOT A bullie or bullie-type-breed's friend.
It wouldn't be much of a problem, my apartment is located on a high mountain and the weather is usually cool, about 20 degrees celsius normally during the day, I also sleep with the A/C turned on.

A Doberman is way too big for my needs, I live in an apartment.

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,413 Posts
I love my boys!
My English Bullies are the greatest..I know everyone says that about there dogs though :laugh:
Anyways as for your questions..

Iv'e met some pretty smelly ones. One of mine doesn't smell at all, and the other one does from time to time. When they fart....ohhhhh man Iv'e had to leave the room afew times.

They do shed quite a bit, but not a much as some other dogs. I brush mine every morning and I find that they don't shed nearly as much. Yes, you have to take care of the wrinkles on their faces if you don't want their tears to stain. You can wipe the wrinkles everyday with a warm facecloth and I also heard you can use goldbond powder on it. My older Bully Stanley, had a problem with his tear duct popping out alot so the vet had have it cut out. This prevents the tears all together. Some people do this right away just to avoid it.

From my personal experience no. I've met a couple that drool alot but mine don't usually. Only right after drinking (so its just water) Or if I'm about to give them a treat they will drool.

I'm sure if you get yours from a reputable breeder then you should be fine. Also knowing things that could go wrong so then you could take action and prevent it. Stanley was very sick as a puppy because he didn't receive a shot in time when he was with the breeder. He pulled through but barely. But finiding a good breeder is a must.

Very loving. My two best friends by far. Very easy going, not high strung and always ready to chill when you are :laugh:
Stanley is my older one and he was so good to train. I pretty much only have to tell him something afew times and that was it. He learned so much so fast, and is incredibly smart. My other one, Gus is stubborn as hell. He's still a pup and he isn't learning nearly as fast. I didn't expect them to be the same haha But i'm still working on this one.

I have heard that they can be extremely stubborn to train so you must be prepared to put up a fight because you may need to. I got lucky with the one and not so much with the other!

Good luck making your decision.
I couldn't resist putting up afew pics.
Stanley is my older one, Red and White. Gus is Brindle. (both males)

View attachment 128910
View attachment 128916
View attachment 128917
View attachment 128918

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Nice looking dogs Shepperd. I say get 1 JAC, great dogs. Mine doesn't smell or slobber really.As Adam12 said, they do make a mess when they drink and drip it everywhere as they walk off. The wrinkles on mine don't really need much attention but she does have a inverted tail that needs regular cleaning.

A picture of mine.

·
Let's split up gang!
3,693 Posts
My buddy had one that he got from some dude in the newspaper. He got it as a pup and knew nothing about the breeder. That dog turned out to be the most aggresive and intolerant dog I've ever seen. He finally had to put it down when it attacked him.

But he's the exception. There are a few guys at my work with them and thier dogs are some of the coolest I've seen.

Moral of the story is find a reputable breeder and learn what to look for in a pup.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sheppard, LOON, your bullies are beautiful. If I ever get one it will like either one of your Sheppard, I specially like the red/white combination. What's it called when they have a patch of color over one of their eyes different from the rest of their face? I really like that.

Thanks for the info Scrappy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sheppard, LOON, your bullies are beautiful. If I ever get one it will like either one of your Sheppard, I specially like the red/white combination. What's it called when they have a patch of color over one of their eyes different from the rest of their face? I really like that.

Thanks for the info Scrappy.
Pie faced. I have a french and he has the funniest personality ever. I can post a pic later, if you don't mind on this thread.

Just do a lot of research. No idea if anyone has already mentioned this, so I'll say it anyway. The biggest thing to be aware of, like any animal, is their weight. If they get to big for their frame it can lead to health problems. I know thats a no brainer, just something to be aware of, try to keep the weight off. Another thing to be aware of, as they get on in age they're prone to back and hip problems.

If you have any questions pm me. If you're in cali I can recommend you to my dog's breeder.

Oh yes, my dog farts a lot, drooling not too much.

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pie faced. I have a french and he has the funniest personality ever. I can post a pic later, if you don't mind on this thread.
Sure man, post as many as you want.

·
Let's split up gang!
3,693 Posts

·
Oh, SNAP!
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts