Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a tank and filtration do I need or do you recommend? i want a freshwater one.

How much money am I looking at?

Whats the best ray to start out with? I currently have 3 tanks (10,30,75 gallons) Keep in mind I want to do freshwater. i dont know how many freshwater rays there are. I'm just in this thread to get some info on them. thanks!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
None of your tanks are big enough for a ray. Often people think retic rays or other "teacup rays" are easier to start out with because of the cheaper price tag and they're smaller when you buy them but they're usually not. IMO I would start with a motoro. Nice hardy ray and most eat pretty well.

As far as tank size start with something 180g range and go from there. Uncluttered bottom, sand or bare bottom tank. Filtration at the same rate for any other large waste producing fish.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume thats for 1 motoro ray? 180 gallons is huge. what else could go in the tank with it?

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
A 180 couldn't even house a Motoro for life, so you'd have to upgrade at some point. Motoros can easily exceed 18" in diamter, and that's no including the tail!

The smallest common species of freshwater Ray would be a Hystrix, and they're getting increasingly harder to find due to recent export restrictions. All Rays are getting harder to come by. Hystrix can reach a size of about 12" diamter. Even they would need a tank 24" wide in time.

Rays are not a cheap venture. They're expensive to house, and expensive to feed.

·
These colours don't run !
4,895 Posts
what do they eat and how often ?

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
Most Rays can be trained to take frozen foods, like raw shrimp, squid, scallops, and fish. I feed my Leopoldi smelt. Nastiest smelling stuff but they love it. Shrimp is still their favorite though, but it's so expensive!

Other things Rays love to eat are live worms (redworms and nightcrawlers) and blackworms. Freshly imported and young Rays will often only accept these types of foods until they can get weaned onto frozen stuff. My guys absolutely love nightcrawlers but they can easily go through two dozen each in one sitting! Blackworms are also very expensive. When I first got my male Leo over three years ago he would eat nothing but. I think I dropped about $200 in a couple month span on blackworms just for him before I could get him to eat frozen foods.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I also would like to say while motoro rays aren't easy to take care of they imo are more hardy than the teacup rays you see for sale.

A 180 couldn't even house a Motoro for life, so you'd have to upgrade at some point. Motoros can easily exceed 18" in diamter, and that's no including the tail!
yep I was talking 180g to start, more like a 300g or so later on.

As far as what they can live with, they're peaceful for the most part and so you can do everything from discus to peacock bass to an arrowana if the tank allows.

·
Photographic Genius
3,492 Posts
I wouldn't recommend keeping Discus with Rays. Though I have seen it done in enormous enclosures, most attempts result in failure. The reasoning behind it is that Discus are diurnal and Rays are active all hours of the night. This can easily stress them out. Also, older Rays can become very bold and will "hop" on top of other fish, especially slow, round, Discus.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I've known folks that have kept f/w barracudas (Acestrorhynchus) with rays. Seems like a nice exotic mix. But considering the water quality you have to watch so close, I'd stick to the rays until you've got that down first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
sounds like an awesum plan bro...BUT!... your tanks are just not big enough1 I have kept 3 motoro rays and was forced to sell my beauties because when the tank is to small they beat themselves up! tank must be at least 48 inches long....standard 4 foot tank but it HAS to be at least 2 feet wide! Filtration is no problem, just as any other make sure it cycles about 6-8 times per hour. They do sh*t alot, and it is pretty big....looks like squirly pig tails! better off nettin it out...it clogs the filter intakes! But mine were great, ate earthworms from my hand! If you have a tank wide enough go for it. Be safe and get a motoro ray....keep your heaters covered, their skin is very tender and get burned very easily. good luck...

_chris_

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah if i get a new tank i might get one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts