Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious to see if i can get some input on my piranha tank set up? I had super reds previously but they died to due the Seattle windstorm and poweroutage. Since then i cleaned the hell out of the tank, it looks brand new and the clarity is phenomenal.I have a 55 gallon tank setup with a 100 gal biowheel, power heads, and air bubblers. I have totally refinished the tank, buying all new goods like malaysian bogwood, sand, live plants,etc. It has now been running for a week and a half with 10 feeder fish, amano shrimp, red clawed crabs and his been set at 80degrees. I am now ready to get back in to this. I just purchased 4 caribe piranhas @ 3"inches from Shark aquarium. My quesion to all is first off, Do you think my tank is too small to house 4 caribe at 3 inches? My previous set up was a 55 gallon tank with 3 reds in there. 2 of them were 5 inches and one was a monster at 11 inches. THey got along fine believe or not, but unfortunately the water got too cold cause of the storm. Another question..... Can i get a shoal effect off of 4 Caribe's???? Or is 5 the more definite?? My reds didnt fight but they were always seperated. they also were not that skittish. But when people would come over they wouldnt do sh*t!!! I just want to make sure that first off i bought the right fish and bought the right amount to create the best shoal effect. I know is does depend on the fish but im crossin my fingers. PLease need the input guys. THanks in advance.....

Peace

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
your tank can probably support somewhere between 20 - 30" of piranha for life. Certainly your tank can house 4 x 3" caribe, but for how long will be the issue. I would think that a 55 would house 3 caribe for a very long time, upwords of 2 years. My caribe follow their steryotype sp? and do not like other reds or caribe around them, very seldom will they tolerate another piranha very close to them, my reds don't mine another red pressed against them, but the caribe would never tolerate that.

Either way, Caribe are the way to go man!! you made a good choice with them, I doubt I'll purchase reds again after seeing what caribes are like.

Kyle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your tank can probably support somewhere between 20 - 30" of piranha for life. Certainly your tank can house 4 x 3" caribe, but for how long will be the issue. I would think that a 55 would house 3 caribe for a very long time, upwords of 2 years. My caribe follow their steryotype sp? and do not like other reds or caribe around them, very seldom will they tolerate another piranha very close to them, my reds don't mine another red pressed against them, but the caribe would never tolerate that.

Either way, Caribe are the way to go man!! you made a good choice with them, I doubt I'll purchase reds again after seeing what caribes are like.

Kyle
Thanks Kyle for the input, as far as time frame, man i plan on keepin them for as long as i can... I just want them to act like how they are suppose to. know what i mean? No pussies in my tank? One of the guys at shark aquarium was persistent that i needed 5 caribe at 3 inches vs 4. He said it make a huge difference. So was kinda trippin out that i didnt buy enough. What do you think, will they still have the shoal effect??? Let me know homie...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i had 4 caribe from about 3 " to 5 1/2" in a 75gal and i waz happy with there shoaling lol youll be happy man dont forget to post us some pics

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
you will loose some for sure!!!!!! not to burst your bubble, but caribe are Verry
Terriorial and putting 4 in a 55 gallon......asking for fights, constant water issues
and just flat out deaths. 20Gallons per fish = 80Gallons is what you are trying to
cram into a 55G.......not going to happen.

i have a friend who i sold him my 60G, he isnt buying a bigger tank and those poor
fish are damaged and have ammonia burn due to language indifference (hes asian)
i have tried to teach him the ins and outs of pygo keeping and all i can say is poor
little guys.

you are asking for trouble with only a 55G, they could live there for MAYBE a year
with proper feeding and maintenance, i would put away some jack for a bigger tank.
look into craigslist in seattle, people praticaly give them away there, i got mine for
$50.00

im close to you, i live in Vancouver WA, so if you need some help, im close!!!!!
Dennis

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

Kyle
personally...i dont think you should put any pygo's in a 55, especially 4 caribe....but honestly man, caribe grow pretty quick, they're rather quite aggressive and territorial, those tanks arnt that thick....id say you could put them in there for 4--6 months in the caribes best interest....a 75 would be great for those guys....and 4 caribe would shoal....mine shoal very seldom....but assclown knows where its at, like he said he's close to you..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Bottom line = tank is not big enough, especially for caribe.
It will not house 3 Caribe for upwards of 2 years. Assclown had it pegged.

What good is a shoaling effect if your Caribe have no space to shoal?
IMO...swap them into a larger tank 75 gal or more and use the 55 for a solitary Serra .

·
Kyle's Mom Is A Big Fat Bxtch! IMO
2,094 Posts

IMO...swap them into a larger tank 75 gal or more and use the 55 for a solitary Serra .
x2...

...or +1....whatever the hell you guys do these days..

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts

x2...

...or +1....whatever the hell you guys do these days..
[/quote]

+ 3

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just one more thing to add. Your filters are most likely not cycled completely after just one week. Get a test kit and check out your parameters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
agreed, the tank probably isn't ready unless you had some awesome bacteria sources to use (established biowheels most likely).

like everyone has said, a shoal wont happen in a 55, especially with cariba

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
if you want a good shoaling effect you will need a bigger tank, these fish grow fast like you can almost watch them grow. if i were you i would save up to get double what there in, with that you can give each fish there own space need be, add that 5th fish if you want, give them lots of room to swim and in return you will get a really nice shoaling effect

1 - 12 of 12 Posts