Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit Frank on Saturday and am now finally getting down to posting this thread of my experience and some photos. Too many things to do and so little time. I took a long trip(about 2 and a half hours) but well worth it. I had access to one of the most educated men about piranhas. I felt like kind of a newb with all the info he was able to throw at me and I'm sure he got a little impatient with my slow wit at times but he held his composure and treated me with a lot of respect. For any of you who have/had problems with Frank I cannot see how you could bicker and argue against his keen wit and immense knowledge for this species of fish. I was very impressed that he receives text documents from many well known authors about new information and to have him proofread for errors in data. I got the chance to see his beautiful set up of tanks with his 4 adult pygocentras nattereri(pronouced natteri as he corrected me), I asked him questions about feeding, breeding, sexing and sexual dimorphism which he answered them all to my satisfaction. He showed me documents he's collected over the years of piranha history and scientific information which a lot of it was in French and I could not understand...not that if it were in english I would have understood some of the terminology much better
He showed me specimens(less than half of what he used to have cause he donated a lot to schools for educational purposes). I was amazed at all the different types of piranha specimens he had and was interested to see how they looked yellow in an alcohol solution to help preserve them. After taking several pictures we went back into the main part of the house and talked some more about piranha's and showed me a few more diagrams of species of piranhas. His wife told us about how she was first introduced to his piranhas when he was in the military. It was then time for dinner and he went out to grill up some great tasting steak. After dinner was through we talked a little while longer and then it was time for us to face the long journey back home. We said our goodbyes and then we were off to find our way back home in the dark. Frank was a great host and I can't wait to head back down that long drive to hang out some more.
Thanks for the great experience Frank.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This second photo of his middle tank with his altuvei and rhom separated by a sheet of plexiglass. That rhom really wanted to get at the altuvei!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a pic of my gf holding a speciment in a vile of a parasite that has been documented to crawl up a man's :eek:uch: and lodge itself there.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
Frank rocks. He is always willing to help out anyone insterested in learning. He is really a stand up guy.....

I feel fortunate he comes around here to give us his accurate and unbiased advice.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Xenon said:
I feel fortunate he comes around here to give us his accurate and unbiased advice.
I think that statement goes for all of us, with the exception of USMC*sPiKeY* as he has no fish, and has never been out of the lounge, so he doesn't know who Frank is

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
What kind of piranha is that to the left? Looks pretty big to me Can you keep it in shoals, what tank size, does it breed in captivity
Sharks can be kept in captivity, though I'm not sure about that one. Doesn't have any flesh or fins to do much of anything except hang around. Actually, I use this specimen for lectures along with some pirana models (those on the shelve shown with the Oregon document).

Frank showing off his fame in the paper
. The front age article photo was taken just moments before that S. rhombeus jumped and frightened the state police and photographer so much they ran from the room. It was funny to see grown men, especially with guns high tail it out of there.

The separated S. rhombeus and altuvei belong to Doug (fishman2) as I am caring for them in his absence. Originally they belonged to me, but when I was in process of moving Doug took them to his home.

Rosecityrhom and his g/f were a treat to have in our home. Look forward to his and her return. Perhaps they can help me dissect those bellies of P. nattereri for the upcoming test.

·
.pocketful of sunshine.
16,831 Posts
Judazzz said:
What kind of piranha is that to the left? Looks pretty big to me
Can you keep it in shoals, what tank size, does it breed in captivity?
HAHA
I have to admit that must have been one big fish!! It reminds me of Xenon's last avatar!!

John- Come on I dont even own any fish and I even know 'who' Frank is!! He's the only one with yellow skulls!!

BTW, nice pics RCR!!

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Great experience!

Congratulations!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.