Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Even though that we as the consumers should not have to spend this much time and effort trying to repair something that was just purchased, I think i may have something that might help. I contacted frank about the problem, and here is his email to me.

I've seen this before on young caribas. My impression its due to over
crowding at the source (Names withheld) and no proper water changes. Which brings
up
the possible cure. The few times I have seen it in my aquariums, large
water
changes and the addition of a bit of salt (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons)
helped
eradicate it. Scrape it off does help, but w/o the water changes the
organism will remain in the aquarium. Feel free to distribute this
info.

Frank

Although I have tried pretty much everything, and nothing has worked, not even scraping them off, I am going to try the high salt dose 1 more time. I think that it is pretty shity that there is so many cases of this recently. Some worse than others. Although it I can understand the fact that the supply and demand for these cariba is very high, I still find it to be a tad bit rediculous that the sponsers sell these fish in the condition that they are in, knowing that they are infected, and then offering no support on how to right the problem. I also think that paying full price for a half ass fish should not be tolerated. Just because not many people can import these fish, does not make it right to sell them this way. When you buy a new car, you expect it to be new. Not to bring it home with a bunch of scratches and dents. I have cariba from 2 diff sponsers, and they both have this problem. it seems to me that this problem my stem back to the source, the exporter. If so, it is still wrong that they sell the fish in poor condition at full price. If they want to sell infected fish, they should be half price. Or they should keep the fish until they are healthy, and not offer them for sale until the problem is completely fixed. I can understand if the fish get a little ammonia burn or something like that while being shipped, but give me a break. This is not a production line. We are not purchasing cheap $1 toys that don't matter if it has a couple of defects. These are fish, our pride and joy, our hobby, our money. I can see how the perspective gets a little blurry for the sponsers when all they can see is $$$$$$$ signs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am in TOTAL agreement with you. My 3 caribes which I recieved 1 1/2 weeks ago have these white spots all over them. Mine were purchased from one of this sites sponsors ... why are they being sold with a KNOWN health issue!!?? This is without a doubt a totally unacceptable practice.

Even though that we as the consumers should not have to spend this much time and effort trying to repair something that was just purchased, I think i may have something that might help. I contacted frank about the problem, and here is his email to me.

I've seen this before on young caribas. My impression its due to over
crowding at the source (Names withheld) and no proper water changes. Which brings
up
the possible cure. The few times I have seen it in my aquariums, large
water
changes and the addition of a bit of salt (1 teaspoon per 10 gallons)
helped
eradicate it. Scrape it off does help, but w/o the water changes the
organism will remain in the aquarium. Feel free to distribute this
info.

Frank

Although I have tried pretty much everything, and nothing has worked, not even scraping them off, I am going to try the high salt dose 1 more time. I think that it is pretty shity that there is so many cases of this recently. Some worse than others. Although it I can understand the fact that the supply and demand for these cariba is very high, I still find it to be a tad bit rediculous that the sponsers sell these fish in the condition that they are in, knowing that they are infected, and then offering no support on how to right the problem. I also think that paying full price for a half ass fish should not be tolerated. Just because not many people can import these fish, does not make it right to sell them this way. When you buy a new car, you expect it to be new. Not to bring it home with a bunch of scratches and dents. I have cariba from 2 diff sponsers, and they both have this problem. it seems to me that this problem my stem back to the source, the exporter. If so, it is still wrong that they sell the fish in poor condition at full price. If they want to sell infected fish, they should be half price. Or they should keep the fish until they are healthy, and not offer them for sale until the problem is completely fixed. I can understand if the fish get a little ammonia burn or something like that while being shipped, but give me a break. This is not a production line. We are not purchasing cheap $1 toys that don't matter if it has a couple of defects. These are fish, our pride and joy, our hobby, our money. I can see how the perspective gets a little blurry for the sponsers when all they can see is $$$$$$$ signs.

·
Registered
540 Posts
couple things here guys. 1st the fish won't die from these parasites. odds are they are coming right out of the river with these. The sponsors don't know how to get rid of the problem themselves. They sell fish. They are not biologists nor am I. They didn't know the fish would have these things stuck to them when they put in the order for them. The fish doesn't act funny with them so they sell them. What do you really expect these guys to scrape the things off the fish before they send them to you? That's just out of the question. The only other thing is to euthanize all the fish with the parasites and be out all the money and fish. that's also out of the question. Your fish could have came in a lot worse. DEAD. Hey maybe the sponsors have a huge scheme to sell all kinds of fish with parasites then get in a huge shipment of S. marginatus for us at 300 a pop to clean our infected fish off. Put me down for one George.

·
КГБ
10,910 Posts
one of mine has them the other dosent dont mind it easy to tellone from the other and it looks funny to :laugh: mine has it on his chin so it looks like a beard and some on his forehead :nod:

·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll tell you what I did expect. Either give up good healthy fish to the consumer.....or sell the sons of bitchs for a hell of alot cheaper. I would have never bought them if I knew they looked like this. Never. Could have sold them a little cheaper IMO, but yeah, they have to make a living. Just sucks that I got pulled in at the wrong time.

·
КГБ
10,910 Posts
w.e its still the same fish the parasites will die off eventually don't worry if you do water changes and frequent gravel cleanings or take out all the gravel and change all the filter sh*t if u really want until they all fall off them then clean the whole tank and put them back in :nod: thats what i did when i had planaria but make sure you do water changes because the tank might go through a mini cycle when you change the filter stuff, personally i am not in a rush to get these things of because they don't do anything to the fish

·
Registered
374 Posts
We have this same problem in the UK on our Caribes. So I assume it's down to the exporters but with demand so high what do you expect the exporters do? You can't send the fish back so they are on a win win situation, with all the costs invloved shipping, handling etc the sponsors that sell the fish want to make a little money as well.
I have two with it and am using salt, its not spread to any of my other P's and not spread over the fish any more. I was super excited to get three more Caribe and these are healthy (apart from the two with spots) and eat well with loads of aggression.

·
I will bite your face!
7,716 Posts
couple things here guys. 1st the fish won't die from these parasites. odds are they are coming right out of the river with these. The sponsors don't know how to get rid of the problem themselves. They sell fish. They are not biologists nor am I. They didn't know the fish would have these things stuck to them when they put in the order for them. The fish doesn't act funny with them so they sell them. What do you really expect these guys to scrape the things off the fish before they send them to you? That's just out of the question. The only other thing is to euthanize all the fish with the parasites and be out all the money and fish. that's also out of the question. Your fish could have came in a lot worse. DEAD. Hey maybe the sponsors have a huge scheme to sell all kinds of fish with parasites then get in a huge shipment of S. marginatus for us at 300 a pop to clean our infected fish off. Put me down for one George.
No what I would expect is the same thing that my piss poor LFS would do. And treat the fish for their ailments before shipping them to the customers so that they are sure they are sending good fish and we as customers are receiving fish that are in good condition and have the best chance to live.
Thats that. If Petco does it for 2 dollar guppies. I don't see why this same treatment can't be done for 300 dollar piranha.
Chances are, left untreated they will most likley die from a parisite.
I'm confused where the logic of your post comes from.
For 300 bucks yes some scraping at minimum would be in order.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
I'm going to move this to the Saved Topics.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Really, if your gonna charge that much for fish, they should not be infected with anything. I've read the high prices are do to lost shipments and what not, but I think this falls in the same catagory, you fix it, or you take a loss, you dont just ship them anyway and think nobodys gonna notice.

If its the exporters fault then talk to them about losing buisness, these problems should be delt with before it ever gets to the consumer. Thats what they're payed so much for, and not really doing there job.

stuff like this makes me glad I just have reds, so I dont have to deal with the problems involved with shipped fish.

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,532 Posts
i know it shouldnt have been sold but you guys gotta rember your buyin a fish that wasnt made to be put in a tank it was ment to be in a river ,,i know my rhom came in all messed up had everythang in the book,,,dont think i wasnt pissed....

·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But they are sold FOR the HOME AQUARIUM, NOT backyard PONDS. If there is a possability that the consumer will be putting the fish in with other pygos, and these things can not be treated, or take forever to fall off or what not, then they need to inform the buyer. They should say "Look, we got this shipment in with a bunch of ugly noncurable parasites. If you want these fish, I will sell them to you at a lower price, but I suggest that you only keep infected fish with other infected fish. Then SOMEDAY when they fall off, then and only then can you put them with other healthy fish"

That is what I expect. NO LESS. Thats okay, we will see how many cariba they sell next time. I get tons of PM's asking me where I got the infected fish. When I tell them they came from not one but 2 sponsers that I know of, because those are the only sponsers I ordered from, they sh*t themselves, and get bummed out when I tell them that it must be a problem stemming back to the exporter, and is obviously a problem in the river system, and to not buy any until we see proof that the problem has either been resolved, or a cure has been found. No matter how many water changes, salt, meds that I add, nothing has worked for me. You make your own choice weather or not to buy cariba recently imported, but as for me, I will wait till it's resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
But they are sold FOR the HOME AQUARIUM, NOT backyard PONDS. If there is a possability that the consumer will be putting the fish in with other pygos, and these things can not be treated, or take forever to fall off or what not, then they need to inform the buyer. They should say "Look, we got this shipment in with a bunch of ugly noncurable parasites. If you want these fish, I will sell them to you at a lower price, but I suggest that you only keep infected fish with other infected fish. Then SOMEDAY when they fall off, then and only then can you put them with other healthy fish"

That is what I expect. NO LESS. Thats okay, we will see how many cariba they sell next time. I get tons of PM's asking me where I got the infected fish. When I tell them they came from not one but 2 sponsers that I know of, because those are the only sponsers I ordered from, they sh*t themselves, and get bummed out when I tell them that it must be a problem stemming back to the exporter, and is obviously a problem in the river system, and to not buy any until we see proof that the problem has either been resolved, or a cure has been found. No matter how many water changes, salt, meds that I add, nothing has worked for me. You make your own choice weather or not to buy cariba recently imported, but as for me, I will wait till it's resolved.
Ryan,

I hope you're sitting down. I AGREE WITH YOU! 2 weeks ago, I replaced a pianha sold to a local customer who brought back a caribe he bought the day before. (Actually, it was the second caribe I had replaced for him. The first had a spot on a fin he thought abnormal.) Anyway, that was the first time I noticed this situation. I shipped out an order that same week, and apparently some of those have the same problem. His comments are what led me to this thread.

Although many of the comments above are totally unfounded, and a bit ridiculous in my opinion, the fact remains that these fish should NOT be sold, and I apologize for not noticing this sooner. They came in from the wild with some sort of infection, and to be truthful, I am not sure how to address it. About 30% are showing these spots. I doubt it has any long term detrimental effects, but cosmetically, it sucks.

I have never seen this before, and I have not decided definately what it is. My purpose now is just to acknowledge the problem, and my responsibility, and I shall have to get back to you later when I have something more definitive.

george

1 - 14 of 14 Posts