Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
i wonder how tehy set up those to take a picture of them... if they touch theym they will melt and im sure they are very fragile

·
Banned
858 Posts
C.D. said:
i wonder how tehy set up those to take a picture of them... if they touch theym they will melt and im sure they are very fragile
[snapback]883314[/snapback]​
Snow Crystal Handling
A third challenging aspect of snow crystal photography is in handling. Snow crystals are small, fragile, and they melt away with the slightest breath. Even under ideal conditions, a fallen snow crystal begins evaporating away as soon as it hits the ground, so that one has only a few minutes to bring the crystal under your camera and compose the shot.
The best strategy for handling snow crystals goes all the way back to Wilson Bentley. You begin by catching snowflakes as they fall on some convenient cold flat surface. Cardboard is okay, and foam-core is nearly ideal. Scan the board for interesting crystals, and brush the flakes off regularly. When you spot a good one, carefully pick it up using a small brush or stick and place it on a clean microscope slide. Place the slide in your camera and snap away.
Temperature is a primary concern. If it's just a few degrees below freezing, snowflake photography is difficult. Colder crystals are easier to handle and they last longer, giving you more time to compose.

Some other specialized handling techniques include catching snow crystals in a shallow beaker of hexane, which largely eliminates the sublimation problem [4]. A variation of this is to catch the crystal on a slide coated with motor oil, which is then covered with a lighter silicone oil [5]. The oil densities are such that the snow crystal floats between the two oil layers.
Click the link, alot of intresting stuff in there

·
Registered
161 Posts
Filo said:
wow, thats awesome. thanks for sharing--i wonder if i can get like a poster of one of those.
[snapback]883378[/snapback]​
Ya that would be awesome! This would look great above your bed next to the poster of the rainbows and unicorn! Don't you think having a poster of a snowflake is umm how do I say it...

haha jk

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
What kind of camera do you need where you can put microscope slides in the camera??

·
Banned
858 Posts
stinkyfish said:
Filo said:
wow, thats awesome. thanks for sharing--i wonder if i can get like a poster of one of those.
[snapback]883378[/snapback]​
Ya that would be awesome! This would look great above your bed next to the poster of the rainbows and unicorn! Don't you think having a poster of a snowflake is umm how do I say it...

haha jk
[snapback]883490[/snapback]​
LMAO, i was thinking this aswell. but said f*ck it, let someone else say it, anywayz

1 - 20 of 42 Posts