Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was walking by my tank and saw the thermometer... 88 and still climbing

a few more hours and i would have had boiled caribe

i unplugged it, added some cold water and a few ice cubes and the temp is lowering... i plugged it back in and it hasnt came on yet so i dont think its broken... ill keep an eye out

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think they need a better design on heaters. They never stay consistent in my house. I don't know if it's the temp in the house or just low quality heaters. I've learned to check mine every single time I see my tanks.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
time for a new heater

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
Yea thats my biggest fear... Fryed fish!

I also check my thermometer every time I check my fish. Its just so stupid how they go screwy all the time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
if you had two heaters in a tank would they set thenselves up to stay at the temp you want?

i have two heaters of the same kind and i'm thikning of adding the second as a backup if it works that way.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It depends on the heater. If they are the same and they have a temp. sensor, then they should be fine together. If you have 2, 300 watt heaters they could possibly fry the living dog piss out of your P's. I can never seem to get my heaters to cooperate. I try to have a high watt and a low watt just in case.

I think what happens is when you set your heater, you are setting it with water surrounding the temp. sensor. Once the water level drops below the sensor from evaporation or prefered lower water levels. The sensor starts to take the air temperature into account instead of the water temp. Lets say your air temp is like 66, well your heater thinks your water is at 66 and starts putting everything it can into heating your tank. If you have a high watt heater that could fry your fish if the air temp stayed low. That is why it is better to have submersible heaters instead of hang-on-back heaters IMO. This is my opinion and seems very simple to understand. If you don't think it is true please tell me why it isn't possible.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Hey Shutter, you sure its the heater and not the thermometer. Did the tank feel awfully hot to the touch. reason i ask is i had an experience with the floating and hang on type thermometers where they were not reading the correct temperature. I switched to the type you stick on the outside of the glass and haven't had a problem since. Otherwise try the stealth visitherm heater. I think they're great.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jerry_plakyda said:
Hey Shutter, you sure its the heater and not the thermometer. Did the tank feel awfully hot to the touch. reason i ask is i had an experience with the floating and hang on type thermometers where they were not reading the correct temperature. I switched to the type you stick on the outside of the glass and haven't had a problem since. Otherwise try the stealth visitherm heater. I think they're great.
[snapback]891092[/snapback]​
it did feel significantly hotter...

its an ebo jager heater.. only about 7 months old so its not like i could get a better heater

its fine now

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
Wow, thats the first time i heard of an ebo heater getting stuck.... I know Whispers and the old Supreme brand is notorious for sticking....I think its possible a p slammed it and it just got stuck..only a guess....Definitely keep an eye on it. ..later dude.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I have an ebo jager, i set it at 78 deg...on the other side of the tank is the stick on type thermometer, and it ALWAYS reads 78 deg. If I turn it up to 80, the sticker reads 80. Always accurate. Get a new Ebo.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
also keep into account the temp surrounding the tank, that sometimes throws off cheapo heaters. I have a lot of tanks with different types of heaters. I have them all set to 78-80 but the temp is never there always. I find that ebo jagers work great for the 5-10 price difference it is worth it, my feeder tanks and what not heaters ahave to be adjusted with every season lower in summer, higher in winter my ebo jager never touch sh*t! yay

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just keep an eye on that heater. If it messed up on you once it can happen again. I would just get a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts