Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the question :

My yellow badass was introduced to the tank with my two original p's about 2 weeks ago. He was the most dominant member in his tank at the lfs and of course my two original p's are definitely the original keepers of my home tank....they are always the first to eat and I have never seen him (the big guy) eat at all in the last week. I have been varying the diet from anything like chicken breast, shrimp, beefheart, pellets, goldfish, and two mice. The only thing he would touch was the goldfish and the chicken. Now he touches nothing and stands idly by while the reds gorge themselves, then he chases them around for most of the night...

Any suggestions people ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would suggest to check the water parameters, because ternetzis and other wild specimens require a near perfect water (ph7 is fine, no nitrates).
If the parameters are fine, maybe he will eat soon in front of you

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. that is something I was actually wondering yesterday. My ph isnt too far off. it's right around 6.0 right now. no nitrates, 0 ppm ammonia. maybe still do a partial water change for just the ph alone then ? that and the temp is a little low. right now it's been hovering at 78 for the last week instead of the usual 82. (aggressive jerk killed one of my two heaters)

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Maybe your fish is going on a hunger strike. I see my reds not eat for a while but after a couple days they start eating anything that hits the tank. Give him some time and get back to us about your Tern.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
PyGoPaT said:
I would suggest to check the water parameters, because ternetzis and other wild specimens require a near perfect water (ph7 is fine, no nitrates).
If the parameters are fine, maybe he will eat soon in front of you
I dont really agree with this statement. My pygos are all wild caught, live in a ph of 8 and are growing and eating very well, there is also almost no way to have a nitrate value of 0.
If it is in fact a yellow nattereri, he is probably just establishing himself in the tank and will start eating when he gets hungry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.