Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the temperement of rbp associated with the way you trained if for food?

i know you can trained it to eat flakes, i'm planning when i get mine to feed on superworm and crickets.

i suspect that rbp will be calm with other fishes (ex. cichlids) if they are trained to eat that kind of food instead of life feeder fish.

any comments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
WHEN THOSE REDS GET BIGGER THAN THE CICHS WATCH OUT,THEY'LL END UP DINNER IN NO TIME.YOU FEED THEM FLAKES WHEN THEIR SMALL,AS THEY GET BIGGER THEY'LL EAT WHAT THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT! HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A VEGETERIAN PIRANHA? ANYWAY DEPENDING ON WHAT TYPE OF CICHLID YOU'LL HAVE SOME OF THOSE CICHS ARE VERY AGGREESIVE,BUT JUST REMEMBER THOSE PIRANHA HAVE SHARP&POWERFULL TEETH. PIRANHA WILL EAT ALMOST ANYTHING, JUST DONT FEED THEM FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN. HOPES THIS SHEDS SOME LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from what i heard and read, 80% of the piranha family are vegetarians. they used their teeth to cut hard shell of nuts and others.

there are cichlids that can match the size of rbp (around 12in), the problem is piranha has sharp teeths.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
The aggressiveness of piranha is largely dependent on the species and the individual fish. People say starving the fish makes them meaner but this is simply them being ravenous. I dont suggest doing this. I dont think you can "train" the rbp to not eat its tankmates. It all depends on the situation. The main 2 determinants for this are that you keep it well fed and get the tankmate at a bigger size than the p's. Even then there are no guarantees.

Boy Im tired....

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
from what i heard and read, 80% of the piranha family are vegetarians. they used their teeth to cut hard shell of nuts and others.
I'm curious where this information originates from ( I don't totally disagree, but they are not vegetarians in the literal sense).

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
Ps are like any other animal in that instincts drive them. You can't take the instincts out of animal 100% of the time. Ps are also unpredictable and may leave their tank mates alone for years and then one day the tank mates are gone.

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
hastatus said:
I'm curious where this information originates from ( I don't totally disagree, but they are not vegetarians in the literal sense).
Frank wouldnt it be accurate to think that some P's eat primarily seeds and such simply because it is an abundant source of food wherever they are located? And if offered, they would eat meat as well?

Is this what you mean when you say P's are not vegetarians in the literal sense?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I was curious about the 80% because it is not to far from being accurate. But seed eating is not a primary food except for a few species, and even then they eat fish as part of that diet. For example read this and note the alimentary diet of those species as compiled by Antonio Machado-Allison and Fink (1996).

Pirana Feeding.

It is my thought on species like Pygocentrus and Serrasalmus they engage in seed eating as a last resort when other meaty foods are not available during the dry season. It is well documented from belly examinations of S. rhombeus seeds were found in its belly during this season. S. rhombeus as you know primary food is fins when adulthood is reached they eat whole fish. Fin biting occurs with large rhombeus vs large prey fish. The genus Pygocentrus though is largely restricted to eating whole fish, but smaller ones when offered no other food other than seeds will eat it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can't see how you can train a fish to be less aggressive or more tolerable of tank mates. It's instincts will supercede anything you might of thought as a training process.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hastatus said:
well i may be wrong.

i got the idea that 80% out of 35 piranha spicies are vegetarian from a movie clips downloaded. 5 out of the 20% are a real treat to man.

well, i still have so much to learn, just fill me in.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
red devils red said:
WHEN THOSE REDS GET BIGGER THAN THE CICHS WATCH...
please no caplocks next time

...Piranhas are scavengers and will eat what is available... depending on the species, to try to answer the delima there somewaht...
...I have read articles where it has been observed that feeding P's high in vegtalbes like benas etc... is a very good diet and also calms them down as well

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
tikbalang said:
i got the idea that 80% out of 35 piranha spicies are vegetarian from a movie clips downloaded. 5 out of the 20% are a real treat to man.

well, i still have so much to learn, just fill me in.
Okidoki,

=> I believe only three species are actaully considered (potentially) dangerous to man, as in able to kill a man, and those are the three pygocentrus species.
A huge, but solitary serrasalmus for sure could deliver a very painful and devastating bite, but not fatal in the sense of attacking and killing a prey...

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
really they are all dangerous to man, all of them can bite and severe and artery and you could bleed to death, but the reason Pygos are soo much more dangerous is that they live in large shoals, so if you get attack chances are its by many of them not just one

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Can appreciate that view, but presently the number is closer to 60 species now. The genus Pygocentrus are considered potentially dangerous to man because of their primary food source which is whole fish and throughout history much mention of their reputation to attack humans. Now we know that those historical records are largely based on exaggeration of the situation and their feeding of dead corpses (SAZIMA, 1977). Many of todays reported cases of Pygocentrus bites are attributed to mis-handling the fish after catching it and of course areas where they have been conditioned to eat entrails from cleaned fish along the banks. Entering those waters would likely encourage an attack. Richard Conniff (who visited my home some time ago for filming National Geographic special) and I talked much about the history of the pirana and he asked if I thought piranas were always dangerous. I told him yes, especially if they are flopping around or if conditioned by localized feeding. I gave him the example of the birds falling into the water in specific localities of the Orinoco during the dry season. That would encourage pirana attacks. And to illustrate a point, I fed some flake food to guppy's and showed him what conditioned response was.

A year or two after we disscussed this he went to Venezuela and actually was present when a little boy and girl were fishing and the girl fell in the water where fishermen regularly cleaned fishes. She was immediately attacked by piranas and her brother got her out. Severely bitten and might had been worse had (as earlier mentioned in a post) an artery been sliced.

Of course, Richard did not go to the water to see what specific species of pirana was in there, but it was assumed to be a Pygocentrus.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
The shows on the discovery channel I have seen try to act like attacks never happen, I read in the Guiness book of world records several years back that on Sept 19, 1981 many people were killed when a tourist boat sank somewhere in the amazon, have you ever heard that being true Frank?

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
I read in the Guiness book of world records several years back that on Sept 19, 1981 many people were killed when a tourist boat sank somewhere in the amazon, have you ever heard that being true Frank?
About the boat sinking yes. About people being killed by piranas? Long since discounted by authorities and reputable scientists. But people will always believe what they want to believe.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Sir Nathan XXI said:
really they are all dangerous to man, all of them can bite and severe and artery and you could bleed to death, but the reason Pygos are soo much more dangerous is that they live in large shoals, so if you get attack chances are its by many of them not just one
I see what you mean, but this reasoning would make almost any creature with teeth or somewhat sharp claws potentially deadly creatures, since all of them could slice or bite through an artery as well... I think that's a bit overdone...

I said only pygo's were potentially dangerous because, like you said, they live in large shoals, and are able to take down quite large animals (including mamals and humans) if hungry enough. This makes them potentially dangerous to man.
I doubt this is also the case for serrasalmus species (and so, in my opinion and my way of reasoning [see above], those aren't potentially dangerous)...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts