Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the lowest temperature possible? my [email protected]#*$ gf keeps turning the heat off
in the house and I dont have a heater for my tank right now, went into the living room and my smallest RBP is half dead stuck in his tree, so I went to scoop him and he jumped back into the group. I dont think he'l be here when I get back from work problem is I dont know wtf is up. I spent all my cash totally now I dont have a water tester, heater, lights nothin.. I dont see any ick or anything on any of my fish. the I.D shark and guppies have been fine in this tank for over a month.now this hmmm yesterday I put in ghost shrimp from the LFS, day before I put in some plants I got from the Dollar Store... well I removed the plant anyways I think I'm gonna just have to ride it out for 2 weeks and see what happens
I dont know what temp is proper for these guys, I thought it was 75-80 right now I'm sittin at like 71-72, I jacked the heat in the house up to 30 maybe I should do a water change and add in warm water to add some temp, I've done that before
see in the last tank with no heater its always 76 degree's cuz the lights in the canopy make alot of heat. this tank here is open on top. what to do

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but you really shouldn't buy a fish if you can't supply it with proper equipment. You will need a heater. It isn't a matter of your house temp because that sounds inconsistent. In the long run if you don't buy a heater then it's going to cost you lots of money in fish.
Kevin

·
Registered
589 Posts
Buy a heater. Return your light, or borrow money, but your fish arent going to last very long with water 10 degrees colder that it should be. Also, DONT add warmer water to the tank, thats even worse than having water thats too cold for them in there already. Fluctuations in the water temp. could end up killing your fish if they're drastic enough.

Honestly, it doesnt sound like your really prepared to be keeping these fish yet, which is kind of sad, because they really arent hard to keep if you do everything even remotely right.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My p's lived in 65 degree water for a a week. Somebody in the damn house didn't plug the heater back in. They lived through it. I recommend you run to a store and grab a heater. It's cheaper then turning your heat on blast to keep the tank warm too.

·
Breaki'n all day...
4,507 Posts
sorry but it sounds like you kinda rushed into this...
you shouldn't have them right now if ya don't have the cash for them.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Michaeljames said:
my [email protected]#*$ gf keeps turning the heat off
[snapback]881416[/snapback]​
It's very simple: either you make her stop turning the heat off, or you replace your piranha by coldwater fish - piranha's are tropical fish, and a heater is required equipment: do not keep pets you cannot provide the proper care for...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did I mention they have been living in the other tank with no heater for over 2 months? geez some of you ARE being DICK's I spent my last bit of money on the care of these fish, so I could get them THE BEST I CAN AFFORD because thats what kind of owner I am, tanks to me arent a set goal like buying a package deal at the LFS, theyre open ended like always evolving into better tanks, so I underestimated the effects of a heater, since my last tank w canopy ran hot
what is the correct temp's? anyone got that for an answer??
simple mistake of priorities now I'm suddenly "unfit to own a fish"

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
You ask opinions, we give you answers and now we are dicks because the answers do not suit you?

How about you being a dick for getting animals you cannot provide the right stuff for, even though you should have known about their basic care? Piranha's are tropical fish, tropical fish require heaters (hence the name tropical) - you don't buy tropical fish if you know that, but cannot provide the right equipment yet.

I'm not saying you're not fit to keep these pets - I'm saying at the moment you're not: get a heater and all the other necessary equipment and stuff you need to care for them, and then you are ready to get your fish. Not the other way around: fish first and then later filling in the equipment gaps - the fish may very well be dead by the time you have all the needed stuff.
So get that sand out of your puss and reread the posts made, because what I say is the same as what others said...

One more thing: if you can't deal with warranted criticism, don't even ask questions in the first place. What did you expect?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the recomended is 75-80 degrees is it not?

Now that doesnt mean thats what they can tolerate...

In the colder water they certainly will not grow very fast, as it should slow thier metabolism

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Its 78-82.....I wasn't trying to be a dick, just trying to make you get off of your ass and buy a heater.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My teacher always say "There's no such thing as critisism, only information".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Go get a heater.. It's about 10,000 times cheaper than running the heater if you can't afford a heater then start heating some rocks and then droping them in the tank about every 4 hours or so until you get a heater. When the water is too cold it's like slowly killing the fish i.e. if someone put you in a 50 degree fridge and left you there until you died. at first you could tolerate it but eventually it would kill you.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Charge your heater on your credit card and pay it next month. Also get a plexiglass for top. You can pay for them next month when the bills come.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can handle criticism, but the comments made over a simple mistake are a little overkill, my other tank is ALWAYS at 76 degree with no heater at all but the lights in the canopy, on THIS website it lists the temperature for pygocentrus nattereri as 76-84. so I figured this was what my water would sit at in my other tank, as the day went by I noticed the water temperature wasnt sitting at 76 like the other tank it was a touch under 75. got home and theyre all fine and active btw the heat is free in an apartment building and when I got home the temp in the tank was at 74
just thought I'd tell you what happened when I got home

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey Michael,
My Girlfriend used to alway F--K with the heat in our house....
I got her some "St. Johns Wort" and everthing's been fine since!

But at the same time, you should buy a heater for your fish too.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Although the actual temp of water is important, like pH, it must remain constant. Using the tank light as your sole source of heat will result in temp fluctuations throughout the day/night as the lights turn on/off. Technically speaking, fish are cold blooded animals and can not adapt quickly to changes in their environment. Constant fluctuations in any water parameter will result in stress which will lead to disease and likely death of your fish.

A decent aquarium heater with a thermostat can be purchased for under $20 (a lot less than the investment you have already put into it). So you should purchase a heater as soon as you can to protect your investment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
not to be rude or offensive sounding but god does not provide an even consistant temp in the wild for these fish so I think as long as your not rediculously subjecting them to rapid change or keeping them at too low of a temp for an extended period of time they should be fine

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
I disagree... what God does provide them with is billions of gallons of water in the wild that will not fluctuate in temp from day to night. Even if there were slight fluctuations in temp at the surface, the fish have the ability to thermoregulate (go into deeper water) which is not possible in a tank. A tank (depending on volume) can fluctuate widely through a 24 hour period in an unheated house. Daily exposure to these fluctuations will cause stress in fish and lead to illness - ick being a very common result.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The tank has been sitting at between 72 to 75 depending on the time(morning=cold). I have a heater coming this monday, I never wanted to seem cheap or like I dont provide them with all that they need. hell I have a hard time providing myself with food and clothing somtimes. my work boots are completly split open, like toes hangin out the 4" hole in the side, but I just keep trudgin thru the snow in them soakin boots cuz I need a better this and that for my tank, and I need to get my car fixed and paid off and I need to get NEW WORK BOOTS!!! lol
I love these damn fish, I think I'd cry if they died but hell I can only do so much with that money I get every 2 weeks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts