Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I just wanted to let you all know that the temperature in your tank may not be the same in all spots. especially when dealing with larger tanks and/or temperatures substationally different outside the aquarium. For best temperature control results try placing 2 temp gauges in the tank in 2 seperate locations. Or at least try placing thermometer not so close to heat source/ or chiller source if this is required.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
It also helps to place two less powerful heaters instead of one huge one, to get better heat distribution...
And also, placing them in the current of a small pump or filters helps to distribute the warmth more evenly.

I have two heaters, one 75W and one 200W in my 80 gallon tank, both placed in the current of a small internal filter (besides foir creating surface agitation, they're very useful for some extra mechanical filtration as well), and the water is about the same temperature in the whole tank.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have 2 300watt heaters for my 220g, both are on opposite sides in the overflow. I will get a another thermometer to make sure.

·
rhombeus
3,659 Posts
I also have two 300w in my 125gal but only one therm. i should also pick up another for the other side. :rockin:

ok i now have 2 also

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
all of my tanks have 3 thermoters, 2 stick on's one at each end and a glass one in the tank.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Ideally you should have your thermometers as far away from your heaters as possible that way you know what the minimum tank temp is or should be

1 - 9 of 9 Posts