Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i increase my temperature by a couple degrees that could likely make my piranas more aggressive rite? But whats the hottest i wanna go? around 84 85 degrees? My temp is steady between 79 and 80 degrees, how much hotter should i go? Also i am slowly getting rid of an algae problem. It had taken over the tank, and now is begining to finally go away. By increasing the temperature will it afect the algae? Im more concerned with getting rid of the algae at the moment, so if reducing the temperature means a faster time untill the algae goes away then i would be fine doing that.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Heat can revive your algea bloom, but in your last thread you say that you were in the process in completely having it removed. What are you doing to treat and eliminate the algea? Reason I ask this is because maybe whatever your doing determines if you can raise the heat temp regardless of your algea problems.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I wouldnt really go any higher than 82 myself, but thats up to you. Your piranhas activity does not soley consist of the temperature there are many other factors like the water conditions and environment...etc...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK wel ill wait a while untill the algae completely goes away, and maybe increase a degree. making it around 81-82. Basically what ive dont to get rid of the algae problem was to get more oxygen into the water. So i bought a powerhead, which is a good idea to have anyways rite? With the powerhead i can adjust the amount of bubbles that gets mixed into the flow of water. So ive had that on maximum for about 5 days. Also im completely removing all sunlight, and i only turn the hood light on for maybe 30 or 40 minutes a day. I also got a pleco to help with the algae. And since i was so desperate to get rid of this algae, i also got a bottle of some chemical called algae eater. Oh ive also been doing prety heavy water changes throughout the past 2 weeks. 2 or 3 times a weekor so. Around 35-50 percent. Water is getting a ehole lot nicer, and the piranas seem to be doing fine. Monotoring the water at the same time in terms of ammonia, and adding cycle at each water change to keep up bacteria in water.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
you dont need the bubbles on with the powerhead, I dont use them on mine

the idea behind bubbles it to disrupt the water surface which increase surface area so more gas exchanges can take place,

so if you aim the powerhead so it disrupts the surface partially, it will do more than the bubbles every could

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sir Nathan XXI said:
you dont need the bubbles on with the powerhead, I dont use them on mine

the idea behind bubbles it to disrupt the water surface which increase surface area so more gas exchanges can take place,

so if you aim the powerhead so it disrupts the surface partially, it will do more than the bubbles every could
a good way to get rid of the algae is to get more oxygen into the water right? so if i have the bubbles then that is doing just that. Ill aim the powerhead to the surface along with the bubbles and then that way it will disrupt the surface even more i guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.