Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I periodically put a thermometer in my 125 just to check adn this morning I woke up to read it.....98 degrees, the fish were just chillin...i promptly turned it down to 84-86 where I like it, DAMN CATS walk behind the tank hope they fall in one day
anyways....

i always thought, the higher the temp the more aggressive they got, it was 98, why werent they killing teach other or haveing a massive food response?

I have 6 2-3 inch reds in a 20 and they are 20 times more aggressive then my big ones are right now they are like little buzzsaws with all food entering the tank meanwhile the big ones just come up to the surface and SMASH gone

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
my 3 rbp's the same size were cooked by the overheated tank method
. I suggest a heater w/ a temp setting like a visa-therm or tronic or there are others. and by the way those suction cup-on therms are only $1.
Don't want you to see your babys floating next time.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Warmer waters do not automatically mean your fish will be darting around like mad. You should have a thermometer in there all the time either a floating one or a digital one that sticks on the glass (or both).

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
I heard the floating ones aren't as accurate as the stationary ones, just get a stationary one and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
damn thats hot water... dont drop the water temperature when that high too quickly or it can put the P's in shock, another thing you want to be concerned about. Avoid P stress as much as possible, try to keep water temperatures as stable ans consitant as possible :smile:

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Remember not only high temp can kill your Ps...fast temp changes (as far as i know more than 2 degrees per hour/4 degrees per day) can be very very harmful!

I can´t recommend to low tank temp so fast as you did...still, if they are alive i guess you were lucky!

You should have a thermometer in your tank all the time and one of your eyes too!

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i thought i had this problem a couple of weeks ago but it was only my digi temp guage as it was faulty (now have 2 basic ones).
98 is very warm and you have been quite lucky i would get something to stop this happening again it could be costly
dixon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.