Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, Out of all the species of piranha, are all of their teeth the same size? For example, If I had a 7 inch rbp, a 7 inch rhom, a 7 inch elong, etc, would they all have the same size teeth or about the same size teeth? or do all piranhas teeth vary in size? (if they were the same size fish) The reason I am wanting to know this is because I am looking into getting a new piranha, and if I can get one that will have potentially bigger teeth then I would want that. thanks

·
AQHU RULES
4,609 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm, to be honest i think teeth m ight be one of things where it all depends on genetics of the fish....................

obviuosly the bigger the fish the bigger the teeth, but i dont think there will be much difference betweeen a 7" rhom and a 7" red though.................................

to be honest just cos you might have a P with bigger teeth than another doesnt mean it will make it anymore aggressive either............

I have a 9" mac and that to be honest has very big teeth they stick right out from his lower and upper jaw, but then again they are probably no differnet to a rhom, elong, etcetc

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I would have to agree with Dezboy on this one. All things being equal, the size of the fish would dictate the size of their teeth.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
i know that an elong has 2 rows of teeth on the upper jaw i coud post pics if wanted but not until i get off work at like 7 pm

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
^^^yeah some look to have bigger teeth. but i think its more got to do with there bottom lip beein smaller. i think the teeth grow with size! not sure about diffrent species teeth tho. ive seen some 7" rohms with huge teeth man.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I asked Frank the same question a while back and was told that their teeth were pretty much the same with true piranhas(pygos) jaws being a bit stronger.

Hater

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^yeah some look to have bigger teeth. but i think its more got to do with there bottom lip beein smaller. i think the teeth grow with size! not sure about diffrent species teeth tho. ive seen some 7" rohms with huge teeth man.
I agree with Dairy, the bottom lip might have something to do with it. But some of you guys are coming back and saying that the bigger the piranha, the bigger the the teeth, I know that is true but my real question is if you have a same size piranha, (any piranha) Say that they are all 10 inches, would they all have about the same size teeth?

Im guessing Hater is right, they would be about the same, with not much difference in size.

What do the rest of you guys think? I wonder if any experiments have been done to prove this?

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm, to be honest i think teeth m ight be one of things where it all depends on genetics of the fish....................

obviuosly the bigger the fish the bigger the teeth, but i dont think there will be much difference betweeen a 7" rhom and a 7" red though.................................

to be honest just cos you might have a P with bigger teeth than another doesnt mean it will make it anymore aggressive either............

I have a 9" mac and that to be honest has very big teeth they stick right out from his lower and upper jaw, but then again they are probably no differnet to a rhom, elong, etcetc
well said!...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
not bad man...yeah we've seen some 7" rhoms with sick huge teeth...there could be lots of variety's why the same size fish's teeth are bigger then the next etc...

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

I think there is a differnce between fish because i have a 4 inch mac and his teeth stick out to same with my elong and hes only 4 inch. Then i got a 6 inch manny and his teeth dont show

1 - 12 of 12 Posts