Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50g tank that has been running for 6 months. Live sand, 30lbs of lr, skimmer and a peng 330. Always used tap water. I exchange about 6-9 gallons every other week and have only had 1 red slime bloom.

Is treated tap water really that bad?

·
2012 Is the year the World ENDS!!!&#33
4,533 Posts
xoshagsox said:
yeah... you should use ro water. you can get it at a local supermarket. tap water has too many minerals in it.
[snapback]866119[/snapback]​
I think your right. I change my water ever week and my buffer zone is always a bit low. I think for now on I will just drinking water.

·
my sister is #1 best prostitute
10,963 Posts
you should use ro/di or distilled from the store, tap water is bad for some fish and most inverts, and can add to algea problems.. you can get away with tap for a fish only with live rock but really you should only use ro/di for SW tanks..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Things living in tank;

2 clowns
3 shrimp
4 snails, 3 small 1 huge
3 damsels
3 anenomes

I have had some deaths, small damsels and a few snails, but i'm not sure if it's the water or the bastard of a blue damsel that is mean as hell!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
while many people have had success with tapwater one of the major killers is copper it may not kill everything right away but they will slowly die of metal poisoning the copper absorbs in to everything ure substarte your liverock and slowly leaches into your tank over time

to me i jsut think its worth it to use the r/o its a matter of spending a few dollars now or losing an expensive fish later

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess I should take all those pennies out and not let my son use it for a wishing well!!!!!

Just kidding ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts