Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the tannins from the driftwood wont harm my p's, as long as the pH doesnt get drastically affected, but i have been soaking my driftwood in a cooler of boiling water for 3 days now a regularly changing the water and still getting a lot of tannins. I'm thinking about just putting them in the tank anyway. Its a 75 gal with about 10 turnover filtration. does anyone have experience? How yellow will it turn my tank? how long will it tank to stop the tannins from seeping out?

·
Registered
655 Posts
yes i have experience with this doesnt make it to bad and it actually makes the water a little softer and p's actually like this coloration but if you want it to go away like i did i soaked mine for about 3 weeks in hot a$$ water and now it gone soo good luck man

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, I used to encourage tannins in my water... like the Inspecta said, it softens the water and help lower the pH a little.
(Ps like pH ranging from 6-6.6)
I think it helps bring out their colors more too.

Another good way to get tannins in the water is to put peat pellets in the filters.

What got me into the whole tannin thing was years ago going into a lfs that specialized in Discus.
Discus LOVE tannins, and some of the tanks they had looked like they were filled with tea!

Very cool effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts