Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I have 2 Channa Pleuropthalma. I've had them since they were around 2inches so babies.

To house them initially they were kept in small 1.5ft by 1ft tank and fed on bloodworm, spiders and moths. The filtration and current was provided by a fluval 404, so as you can imagine the spray bar was creating a huge amount of current in that small tank. These fish are open water preds so It seemed right to give them so much water movement.

Both fish came on really well and soon reached 4 inches when they were tranfered to a 180 imp gallon tank. These fish although not giants compared with Micro's need a 2.5ft width and 6ft long tank as they are very fast active swimmers, fantastic to watch. Filtration is provided by 3X eheim proII's and a fluval 404. There is in addition a UV steralizer fitted and Eco Aqualiser that I swear by.

At around 5 inches the male started to go azure blue while the female went a jade green. They are now around 11 inches long and very colourful as you can see from their pics in the snakehead picture thread. Their diet is still bloodworm with prawns and any creepy crawlies i can find. I am soon the try breeding river shrimp to use as another food source.

Both fish very rarely fight infact I have never seen it, but sometimes the male will have a few little rips in his fins (the girl is tiny bit bigger than the male)

As these fish were raised on dead food they seem very placid towards other fish, sharing their tank with a royal pleco untill I sold it recently.

Pleuro's grow to about 40cm and will live together very happily as they pack hunt in the wild, I could keep as many as five in my tank but two is good and I want to try mixing them with an Aurantimacalata or golden cobra soon.

I'm going to give them a few more months on their own to see if they decide to pair up and have little channa, if they did with another fish in the tank their easy going temperament would change and they would kill anything else in the tank. Even other Pleuro's.

One thing I have noticed is these fish have never jumped unlike other channa I've had in the past. I think that maybe due to their odd body profile compared to all other channa (more high than wide) these fish would very rarely leave the water in the wild.

They are with out doubt the most charismatic and fun fish I've ever had

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents....
In the 80's when I once owned 4 baby red snakeheads, I though they were the coolest fish that God could have ever designed.
I had had enough of Piranhas at the time and this was my next step.

Anyways, my point is that these fish grew faster than I've ever seen and it came to the point that I couldn't afford to feed them all "on a weekly basis"
The (4) of them were comsuming 100 large goldfish in one evening.

First it was goldfish, then large minnows from bait shops, then small mice from pet shops, and whatever else I could come up with to feed them.

What I didn't know when growing them up, is that I should have introduced them to non-live foods and such earlier in life. Nevertheless I had to return them to Big Al's and rumour has it that one of my snakeheads reached 28" and busted the 65gl tank of it's new owner and was put up for sale once again.

These are awesome fish...
The sooner you can get them to eat non-live foods, the better...
Are snake heads legal in Canada???

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.