Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Reds have spawned in a 55 gallon tank, but obviously, the larger the tank, the more chance you have...

For more info on breeding reds and raising fry, check out NIKE's post in this same forum, called rbp's.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
tyourkie66 said:
even if i only ahve 3 reds in my 55g, they wont pair off?

im pretty sure that one of them is a feamale.

do you think that that since there is only four fish in my 55g that they will breeed?
First: how can you see one of yours is a female: I don't want to argue, I'm just wondering :smile:

Wheter your fish will breed depends wheter the fish find the tank conditions suitable to breed. If they are right, you have a sexually mature pair, and they are used being together, your fish might breed as well.
It's just that you can never say on forehand wheter they'll do it or not: it's entirely up to them. All you can do is trying try some tricks to stimulate them to get it off, but there's no guarantee. See the link posted earlier in this thread: it contains a number of tips and useful info...

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
tyourkie66 said:
i was guessing because i read something on another site that said when young the females are less agressive and go to get their foood after the males. that they dont fight and when fightin occurs they usally stay away.

if this is wrong then i read some false info.
I think I have an idea which site that was.... :
:

I don't want to act like I know it all, but the general concensus on sexing piranha's is that, with a few exceptions, they aren't sexually dimorphic, which means that you can't tell wheter a piranha is male or female just by looking at it.....

And don't worry about reading false information: this site is all about learning, and correcting and discussing the many false statements about piranha's, found on the internet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.