Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does my tank water get a very very light grenish hue to it after a couple days of being in the tank. I mean when I do a water change, its nice and clear. But it has an annoying hue to it, like slightly off color. What is causing this?

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
If you ruled out water parameters it can be the glass tank causing it. Some glass tanks especially older ones have an impression of a greenish tint.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water param
ph 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrate 10ppm
nitrtrite 0

yes the glass is the older greenish type BUT. When I first put the water in the tank, its look great for like a day, then it gets a very light slight gren hue to it.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone? someone told me its algae bloom? what would be the cause? it isnt light, cus the tank doesnt even have a tank light, and doesnt get any sun. AND the weird thing is, another tank, about 10 feet away is perfectly clear.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
I dont think you are getting an algea bloom. Algea blooms look more like a white have like fog if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Some planted tanks do get an algae problem that causes the water to look green. If it is free floating algae the best way to kill it is an ultraviolet light. Can you test for phosphates to see if you have high levels that feed the algae?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Weird. I owuld have thought that the cause was micro-algae due to nitrates and sunlight. But it appears that this is not the case (no lighting or sunlight). My nesxt guess, is that something that you put in the tank is coloring the water green.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know what is making it turn green...i did a couple water changes last week to try and eliminate the problem. 70% water change--made is nice for the day--then turned green hue after, 25% water change, same thing. I dont have a phosphate test kit tho. Someone told me to just cover the entire tank with black garbage bags so NO light touches the water. Wouldnt that be bad for the fish?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Filo said:
I dont know what is making it turn green...i did a couple water changes last week to try and eliminate the problem. 70% water change--made is nice for the day--then turned green hue after, 25% water change, same thing. I dont have a phosphate test kit tho. Someone told me to just cover the entire tank with black garbage bags so NO light touches the water. Wouldnt that be bad for the fish?
[snapback]873095[/snapback]​
Filo,

the surface needs to be open so the proper gaseous exchange can take place. I would be surprised if your phosphates (PO4) were high. Nitrates and phosphates levels ususally go hand-in-hand

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FIXED!!! HUGE thanks to Marco for the help! CYSTAL CLEAR NOW AND NO CHEMICALS OR WATER CHANGE!! WOO HOOO!

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I placed a bag of carbon over my filter. And somehow that cleaned whatever was making the tank get that gross hue. not sure scientifically what was going on lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts