Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Man, The Myth, The Legend
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new tank today... 65 gal. and it previously had a lizard in it... I was wondering what I should do to clean it properly. I don't want to use some cleaning substance that would be harmful to my fish.

·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
salt paste? Sorry to sound dumb but how exactly do I do that?

·
Registered
494 Posts
im pretty sure its as simple as salt and water, just a lot of salt, and a very little bit of water. itll form a paste that will be safe to scrub the tank with. ive never done it but im pretty sure thats how it works

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
When I have to clean an old tank, I just use a little ammonia in water. That way you don't have to wash it out with water, you can just leave the ammonia in there and that'll be enough to get your tank started cycling.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
at my lfs they sell some fish and invert safe glass cleaner. although the amonia idea sounds good to me
espicall how it will jumpstart, or should jumpstart your cycling.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
What kind of tank is this 65 gal??? Acrylic (plexi), glass, or was it a terrarium tank. If it was indeed a terrarium tank, I wouln't advice to use it. Terrarium tanks are pretty thinned glass and unsuitable for aquarium use.

And if you dont think any use of chemicals were used before you purchased the tank, a simple warm water cleaning and soaking would help. Salt would help as well to keep safe.

·
8,410 Posts
Sorry to derail with a dumb question but...

What about baking soda??

I heard it is good to "detox" a tank

·
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"What kind of tank is this 65 gal??? Acrylic (plexi), glass, or was it a terrarium tank. If it was indeed a terrarium tank, I wouln't advice to use it. Terrarium tanks are pretty thinned glass and unsuitable for aquarium use."

No it is a fish tank... and that was its oringinal use... the person who owed it before, just stuck a lizard in it after her fish died.

And I think I will try the ammonia idea... sounds like it will work. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts