Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of u all readyy know i jst bought a 55 gallon tank yesterday.. I also bought biospira. I put in last night, and just now i tested the tank for the first time. ( Biospira claims to fuly cycle the tank within 24 hours because it is not a tank cycler, but actually the bacteria itself) I bouhgt a test kit called the "Master test Kit" It include little vials wit testing fluid that u drop into the vials full of ur aquarium water. THen u match the color that comes up wit some cards they have for u. The testkit includes an ammonia tester, a nitrite tester, a ph tester, a high level ph tester, a water hardness tester, and a carbonate tester. Today my ammonia read 0 and my nitrite read 0...Has my tank cycled? and also do i need a nitrate tester?PLZ HELP ME

(By the way, i have 3 fish in there (small danios) to help along the bacteria and feed it with there droppings and piss and what not)

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I'm sure different people have different opinions but I'm not a big fan of those 'cycle' products. If you really want a fresh start get some gravel and even a filter cartridge from an established tank. You still may have an ammonia 'spike' so keep with the danios for a while. Beware of quick short cuts and definitely don't put anything that cleans up algae (like the plecos) in for a while.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think that it's cycled.

These were my results after using the Stress Zyme. Stress Zyme is suppose to have 100,000,000 bacterias to help cycle the tank. It's suppose to have the tank up and ready after 7 days.

1) Added the recommended dosages of Stress Zyme

2) After 7 days, checked water parameters. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates.

3) Bought 4 rbp's

4) After 14 days, my ammonia level spiked HUGE. 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates.

5) After 17 days, ammonia began to drop, Nitrites started to climb High, 0 Nitrates.

6) After 21 days, 0 ammonia, Nitrites spiked to the MAX!, 0 Nitrates.

7) After 24 days, 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrites, High Nitrates.

My theory is that it doesn't automatically cycle the tank, but it does seem to improve the cycling process. I don't think it will cycle a tank by itself, it still needs the ammonia source.

Right now I think my tank is almost there. Just a little more and it will be good.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did u pirhana survive? and also do u have a nitrate tester? mine dont com wit it...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mine didn't come with it, I had to purchase it separately.

The Piranha's survived. I did small water changes when the Nitrites were high. The ammonia didn't stay high long.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plz someone help do i need a nitrate tester? and do the piranhas survive if cycle hasnt totally finished?

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's good to have, but I don't think you need it.

As long as the ammonia and nitrites are 0, then you can be assured there will be nitrAtes. You will have to do water changes to lower this. No, how much water change (frequency of water changes) you do, depends on how high the NitrAtes are.

Your Piranha's should survive. The ammonia is the most dangerous.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i think ill put my piranha in tomorrow most likely

·
Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
18,670 Posts
my p's went in the tank the same day i bought the tank
they are still alive and healthy
had some cloudy water for a while and i dident test my water until a couple of weeks later
i dident know

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha well did they get hurt or are they fine?

·
Registered
873 Posts
etalon9100 said:
I don't think that it's cycled.

These were my results after using the Stress Zyme. Stress Zyme is suppose to have 100,000,000 bacterias to help cycle the tank. It's suppose to have the tank up and ready after 7 days.

1) Added the recommended dosages of Stress Zyme

2) After 7 days, checked water parameters. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates.

3) Bought 4 rbp's

4) After 14 days, my ammonia level spiked HUGE. 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates.

5) After 17 days, ammonia began to drop, Nitrites started to climb High, 0 Nitrates.

My theory is that it doesn't automatically cycle the tank, but it does seem to improve the cycling process. I don't think it will cycle a tank by itself, it still needs the ammonia source.

Right now I think my tank is almost there. Just a little more and it will be good.
I think #3 is where you might have went wrong . . . you introduced a huge bio-load all at once, and the established bacteria in your tank was not ready for such a task. mabye if you added a couple feeders or 1 rbp at a time things would have went a little smoother.

those are some wacky readings, nonetheless.

~Will.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I know it's tempting to get started right away but I'd really resist (I've ignored advice like this a few times myself
).

If the piranhas survive they could have permanent physical damage to their gills (but maybe they wont). Get someone else's (even if it's not a p tank, any freshwater) gravel or filter cartriges, it really does help.

After 14 days, my ammonia level spiked HUGE. 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates.

Sounds like what would normally happen without additives!

Anyhow, years of experience cry out.....WAIT!

Good luck either way

·
Registered
254 Posts
iLLwiLL said:
I think #3 is where you might have went wrong . . . you introduced a huge bio-load all at once, and the established bacteria in your tank was not ready for such a task. mabye if you added a couple feeders or 1 rbp at a time things would have went a little smoother.

those are some wacky readings, nonetheless.

~Will.
You're right, I was basically using my Piranha's as cycling fish for the short time. However, I bought the bottle of Stress Zyme to replace the "fish" cycling process; hoping it was not the fishless. It seems to me that the Stress Zyme helped grub the ammonia. It wasn't prepared for the huge mass of nitrites though.

At any rate, I would never buy Stress Zyme again. It did improve the speed, but was false in stating it would have the tank ready in 7 days (for a new aquarium).

If I were to start again, I still wouldn't use fish. I would most likely use old food, or ammonia directly from the bottle.

In conclusion, the Stress Zyme did speed up the process. It took 3 weeks and my readings seem to be stable.

Hope this helps. Thanks for all your comments; I'm definitely learning about this stuff

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i personally would just cycle my tank the old fashioned natural way i dont like using stuff to add to the water
dixon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts