Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have new 55 g and my p's two of them out of the 3 stay in the top right of the tank pretty much all day unless i drop some food in there.. they like the heater and i believe they like the temp i ahve the temp on 82 but they wont move away fromt he heater i'm sure its hotter than 82 right next to the heater there pretty much touching it the other fish who seems to be more agressive and is really bad ass hes still the same size as a DIME and must have some rhom genes in him cuz he has already been picking on the biggest red i have he took a huge chunk out of his back fine and tail!.. he has already been eating fish 2 times his size and seems to be more active and agressive he is the first to eat and its prety cool to see but you think i should up the temp? or is 82 the limit

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
82 is the warmest temp to keep p's. Do you have the thermometer in the opposite end of the tank? Your tank might be warm on one end and cooler on the other. A powerhead will mix it up good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah but also on my HEATEr i can set it to the degree and its set to 82 and its supposeivly 1 degree off and on the far right it is around 82 also so idunno ;o

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah but i already have a topfin 30 and a 330 penguin bio wheels do u suggest lowering it? or wut powerheads are expensive and i have to take out the gravel and put a platform and lines and stuff right? and even get the pump seems like a hassel wut do u think?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
82 is pretty much the limit. When you start getting higher than 84 you start to decrease the amount of oxygen. But that isn't much of a problem since you have a filter. If you want your "badass" piranha to keep being mean leave everything as it is. If you want him less aggresive lower the temperature to 78-80. If you get a powerhead you can keep him mean with less fin nips because that will give your piranhas something to occupy themselves.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
You can get a powehead cheap. 20 dollars or so. It will just be used to create current. You mount it on the glass with the equipment packaged with it. Platform? Are you thinking of a undergravel filter?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
when I had a 30g in my room it would get up to 90 sometimes during the day in the summer time, so I moved it to the basement and its stable now, but it never hurt the fish, but I am sure it wasnt good

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Agree, the powerhead helps mixing cold and warm water...keep your temp. between 80-82 degrees!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've found that finding a way to heat the tank exteriorly works great...you can also put a temp gauge on both sides of the tank to monitor both sides. Another thing to try is to place the heater in the middle to spread heat evenly. My 20 gallon is 80 degrees all the time and I use a powerhead on both sides of the tank to move water evenly to the middle so its constantly spreading water evenly throughout the tank.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Also forgot...don't trust what the heater says is 82 unless it is actually measuring the heat and giving a reading to you. I've found most heaters are inaccurate as far as gauging the temp so a stick on thermometer gauge is the best bet to make sure its right on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts