Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Tank Suds??!!
I have been having this problem for a week or two now. I woke up one day and found my tank with suds, it looks like soap suds! I checked my water paramters, ph around 7.3-4 Temp 82, and the ammonia actually is alittle high but I am fixing that with putting some ammo lock in and carbon in the filter. Do you know what causes this?? It's a 55 gallon holding 4 2 inch red belly piranhas. Filtration is Aqua Clear 500, power head on side. When I do feed feeders which is about every 3 weeks, I take the remains out also. Their main diet is, beef heart, krill, brine shrimp, and blood worms. I am not over feeding, I feed two times a day, once at 4:00 P.M and once at 9:00 P.M. By the way should I change the schedule of my fishes diet? I am a student I got to to go school at 6:30 and I get back at 3ish, by the time i'm done skateboarding its 4:00... Should I feed them bright in the morning and once in the evening.?? Please help me with these tank suds!!!Or whatever the hell it is, I am thinking its some kind of protein build up.But am not sure!! Please help, thank you.

·
Registered
431 Posts
is probably just the way your water is breaking like the airstone and the filters and it collects in the corners. I dont think its a problem.

FOr your filters... how much room is there betwen the bottom of the filter(liek where the water comes out) and where it actually hits the water????

·
Registered
21 Posts
i get the same stuff in my tank. it's nothing to worry about, the bubbles seem to be caused by agitation of organic matter at the top of the water (that filmy oily looking stuff), which could be caused by overfeeding.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
water change is the best thing you can do,to get rid of the organic debris from the top..and careful on how much you feed

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed them 2 a day. once at 4:00 P.M a cube of brine shrimp, beef heart, blood worms, or krill.Than a cube at 9:00 P.M is this over feeding? I usually have it dissolve in a cup so it can sink.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This occurs in one of my tanks and all of them are kept and maintained the same way so I guess it can just be a bit of bad luck so to speak, however I have manged to 99% rid of it by doing more gravel siphoning and WC's.
the only difference I think on this tank would be that there is slightly less water circulation in comparison to other tanks

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Im with water control, filterationand water change. Used to have suds also acculimating in the tank from bubbles.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
same here. Stay up on your WC and your problem should go away. Maybe start it of with back to back days of WC, but only like 20% each time. I used to have the bubbles and just as quick as they appeared, they disappeared.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts