Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 80 gallon tank. I have had it for around 4 months. In the last few weeks it has started to smell very very bad. What can i do?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
clean it...yes a water change would help and look for left over food....in the tank and the filter

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
lol what answer would you expect other than to clean the tank?

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
Yep, keep it clean and make sure you don't leave any excess food in there to rot. Carbon can remove odors, but it's best to solve the problem-not cover it up.
~Taylor~

*Topic Moved to Water Chemistry Forum*

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
well.....you can make it more dirty
if it smell allready what the hell!
HA...your posts make me laugh LOL jk
......clean the tank right good...like an 80% water change, scrub the walls, gravel vac...keep up on that sh*t, dont let dead food decay in your tank...remove after 10-15 min after the fish dont touch it....30-50% water changes weekly and it should smell like roses my freind

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 80 gallon tank. I have had it for around 4 months. In the last few weeks it has started to smell very very bad. What can i do?
Well it smells because you have an overabundance nutrients in the water or actually even food leftovers there. The smell comes from bacteria, their metabolism.
So of course you need to do water changes (2 x 30 % in one week or if smell is bad one 50 % first) and a gravel vac or something. But do use water conditioners in order not to harm nitrification bacteria.

Then you may need a bigger tank and/or a bigger canisters filter.

Harry

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
x100 to what everyone else said. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe look @ what your feeding them, red/pink fish(salmon,tuna) and red meat will bleed into the water and smell. You didnt say what you were putting in the tank..

Adam

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
very importand thing..when you do water change dont forget to do some vacuum the gravel..other then that do what everyone said as state above.

·
these cold eyes lock much wonder...
5,370 Posts
what kinda fish ya got a rhom or reds?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
you gotta watch p's they hide leftovers in the damnest spots and youll find it later when rescaping just clean it and add some carbon to your filter

bleach seems to clean stuff and make it smell better try that jk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts