Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I wont to make aquarium for my 10 red`s, size of aquarium would be 200x50x50 cm or 78x20x20 inches that would be 500L or 132 US gallons of water. I know these are not recommended values!
What is your opinion, Is this going to be enough space for 10 red`s?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
not for life.....

10 reds will need 180g+ IMO

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I know most people here disagree with me on this point, but you will be fine with them in there as long as you do copious and frequent water changes and have superb filtration.

There's a guy on here (Very highly respected) that has (16) 12" terns in a 125 gallon and it works out nicely.
I have a picture of his tank, but won't post it without his permission.
It's awesome.

I had (15) pygos in my 150 gallon... granted, it requires total dedication and frequent maintenance, but it can be done.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I know most people here disagree with me on this point, but you will be fine with them in there as long as you do copious and frequent water changes and have superb filtration.

There's a guy on here (Very highly respected) that has (16) 12" terns in a 125 gallon and it works out nicely.
I have a picture of his tank, but won't post it without his permission.
It's awesome.

I had (15) pygos in my 150 gallon... granted, it requires total dedication and frequent maintenance, but it can be done.
you know what man...in my true honesty...i believe you on that one...i say what fish can go in where for the new people on here...just to teach em right....i have a buddy that had 15 5" redbelly's in a 75..that was a sick sick shoal, there was no fin nipping or nothing....it would take a long time for 10 reds to hit 11"......give it a shot man..if you need to thin out..then take a couple out..

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I don't like overstocking. I like for my piranhas to have space to swim

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you are reasonably new to piranha keeping I would go with around 6-8 adults....If you are buying juvi fish then get 10 or 11 and let them thin themselves out as they grow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Now I have 10 red` size about 10" and I have them In two tanks one 95gallons and other 70 gallons. So now I wont to buy a bigger tank and put them together. Price difference for aquarium 78x20x20=132 gallons and 78x24x24=194 gallons is 250 Euro that is 320 $, and that is much!!!

One another question, what is optimum glass thickness for tank that size?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You have to be real careful when doing an overstock. Parameters can get out of whack quick and can wipe out a shoal in a heartbeat. I tend to go the other route, leaving more room for error and for fish to swim. A good general rule of thumb for adult reds is 30 gallons for the first fish and 20 gallons a fish after that, with a larger footprint being the most important factor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the rules "Minimum tank size
For a group of 3-4 fish, you need a tank of at least 120x50x50 cm. (48x20x20").
Each extra fish requires an additional 6-8" in tank length, with 6 fish or more a tank depth of 60 cm. (24") is highly recommended.
Juvenile fish can temporarily be kept in smaller tanks. "
I just asked if I can put my 10 red`s in the tank that size, and I need to know if aquarium that size can be made from glass tickness 10mm. THX

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
i have 7 pygos about 7" each in a 125G, i feel that they have enough room,
but i would like the thin them out a bit. but you question, i would go with 180G
or above with 10 fish. Dave (piranha man) is right, you can over stock in most
cases, but you have to be on top of everything and if you are new to the pygo game,
dont try this because you will in fact loose fish in a heartbeat.

i change my water out every monday and i could do more, but 50% a week is ok
becareful and listen to those who have done the trial and error thing man

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question for all: What quality is you water, there in USA, I use allways tap water and I have my piranhas for about 2 years and I never had any problems with my water!!! I do water changes every 7 days in smaller aquarium and every 2 weeks in bigger!

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
You have to be real careful when doing an overstock. Parameters can get out of whack quick and can wipe out a shoal in a heartbeat. I tend to go the other route, leaving more room for error and for fish to swim. A good general rule of thumb for adult reds is 30 gallons for the first fish and 20 gallons a fish after that, with a larger footprint being the most important factor.
I agree with you that overstocking is taking on a commitment all it's own.
I was doing parameters checks daily and 50% water changes at least once a week with my overstocked 150.

Well put to whoever said "It's a personal choice."

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Question for all: What quality is you water, there in USA, I use allways tap water and I have my piranhas for about 2 years and I never had any problems with my water!!! I do water changes every 7 days in smaller aquarium and every 2 weeks in bigger!
well, i have no idea what type or quality your water is out of the tap, whats added to "clean"
the water or if floride is added, so many factors from the city when water treating.
the water here in Wa state is full of chlorine and calcium, that is where prime is added
to get rid of most of the unwanted water treatments.

"most" aquariums perameters are thus: nitrites 0 / ammonia 0 / nitrates 40 to 60
and PH.....well that can fluctuate from 6.5 to 7.8 depending again where you live and
what they put into the water. i can never get mine lower that 7.6 here, i dont like using
chemicals in my water other than prime or natural stuff like melafix / primafix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts