Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm very new to the fish keeping hobby and have a question about tank shapes..

I'm looking into getting some Red Belly piranhas and the room I want to keep them in has some what limited space. I want to use a corner tank (not sure on size yet) that would probably be in a diamond sort of shape (right angle at the back and 3 faces on the front… see link below)

http://static.flickr.com/34/72479973_6cdbb4d3b9.jpg

I just wanted to know if keeping the fish in this kind of aquarium has any disadvantages or is harder to setup than the normal shape.

Any info is appreciated - Thanks

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Welcome
to the site...

Personally I dont really recomend that kind of tank to put piranha in....maybe Serra. family not pygo.

It would be long tank or wide tank for them to fully grow and happy. Those kind of tank I suggest to put a single Serra. in there...depending how big the tank is.

You can put small tiny little reds in there for a while not for long...there will out grow that tank.

·
I will bite your face!
7,436 Posts
not really ideal for keeping these kinda fish. If you can score one that is 50-75 gallons you might be able to keep one or 2 RBP's. The problem with these types of tanks is they are usually taller then idea for making usage of the amount of water you're getting. P's need more swimming around room rather then up and down. you would really if keeping one RBP you would likely want to give it at least 2wx3lx2t space minimum.

You might have better luck putting a smaller rhom in a tank like this since they like to be kept solo anyhow and they tend to grow much slower and that would give you more time before you would need to upgrade to a larger tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well me and my dad were planing on building a custom tank. The corner it would be going in is roughly 3.5x3.5 and could pretty much be as tall as we want.

I'm not sure on how many RBP i want but i do know that i want more than 1 fish.

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
Why wont you get a 55g.. or 75g..instead of building your own.

you can keep 3 red full grown in there,. or 3-4 small pygo ther untill their are fully grown. just a suggestion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A corner tank is not really a necessity but I REALLY like the way they look and it would work allot better in this room. So if I could possibly make a corner tank that would work for RBP I'd be much happier with it.

Plus from what i hear building a large tank is way cheaper then buying them around here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure every1 here knows more on the subject then me and I want happy fish

So lets say i was getting like 4 RBP and I didn't want to have to change their tank in the future how long/wide would u guys recommend it be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But a 3x3 corner tank wouldn't be enough room for 4 RBP?

It'd be around 135gal if i made it 2 feet deep.

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
Yeah, you've gotten good advice here tonight.
Length is most important, then width, then height.

I do have a 54 gallon corner tank for my altuvei though... it's a showpiece in my livingroom.

For a single specimen it's perfect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright just so there's no confusion on what I'm planning...
(first time trying to upload/link to a pic.. hope it works)

The side view is just so u can c what i mean by 2 feet deep.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Solitary Serra...Shoals need a lot of room to be happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts