Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just picked up a Trio of Piranha's this weekend and have a few questions about the tank set-up.

Right now, Im in the process of getting a larger tank as the current 10ga tank they're in will be out grown pretty fast im told. Here is the problem or just a questions. I have the typical square 10ga tank with the filter in the back left and the heater in the back right. Underneath the filter in the back left I have two artifical plants. For some reason the little bastards don't see the plants as cover and wont hide behind it. They're not afraid of it or anything because somtimes during the night will head over that way and rest in them. But almost all day they just sit right by the heater. So im thinking, "Ok, if Im a 1" Piranha and im cold, where would I go".... Under the heater, right?.... So I turned the tank temp up from 78* to 82* to see if that would get them out in the open and swiming around but nope, they're still sitting under the damn heater. What gives? I thought temp was supposed to be around 78 for them. I'm really hesitant to turn the tank temp up anymore.... I don't want to cook the little buggers.

Should I turn the tank back down to 78 and stick the plants by the heater?? Or should I just ignore it and let them do what they want?

Also, how much should I be feeding these guys?? I have some flakes that the Pet Store gave me(Made sure it was for Piranha's) and I also have a gold fish swimming around in the tank incase they get hungey and need a snack.

Thanks for helping out the newbee

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
i have generally tried to put the filter and the heater near each other. My idea is that the filter helps me distribute the warmer water around the tank. In other words in the heater sits in relative still water the heat wont be even all over the tank.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
that might be the place they feel secure and if they are staying near the heater again i would get a heater guard for it as they could burn themselves or knoch and crack the heater on you tank.
try rearranging the decor and see what the do maybe even spreading the plants about.
not really much you can do though in a 10g so trail and error is the key.
as for the temp thing keep it at around the 80-82 mark.
dixon

·
Registered
390 Posts
The three P's got their first kill today. The gold fish I had swimming in their for them to snack on is dead... I know I know..... It's the best kill in the world, but it's a kill for them. Goldfish #2 Enters the arena. They're Natural Born Killers!

Ohhh and I took the dead fish out. The P's are way to small to eat that thing anyway so I figured it would just rot and mess up the tank. Was that wrong?

Still not hiding in the plant corner though after I rearranged it either....

What about feeding??

Also, what this about them Pairing off?? I have 3 and two of them always seem to follow eachother around. The third seems to just tag along. Sometimes, the two will run into the side of the third to get him away from the heater.... what gives??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts