Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have quite a few questions here. first, i just got a tank. its dimensions are 48 x 13 x 15. i thought i was getting a 55g tank, but i dont think these dimensions fit a 55g, right? how many P's can i put in a tank this size? also, i got an undergravel filter with it, and there are two seperate plastic crates, does this mean i need a powerhead for each crate? how much gravel should i put on top of the crates? what kind of pump is reccommended. how long should i let the water cycle before i get the fish? and what kind of plants and decorations are reccommended. as much general information as all of you have would be great. i am very new to this, and just trying to get started off right.
thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well after a little searching, i guess my tank is about a 40g long. thats what one table i found said. is this enough for two p's?

·
Registered
458 Posts
You should go with either 1 or 3 Reds. 2 will only fight until you have 1. I would run 2 powerheads on your UGF and put a nice layer of rocks on top.

-Kevin-

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go with under gravel filter if you absolutly must, ive never tried it but from everyone elses complaints about it, i hear its a bitch to use with piranas. P's are dirty little bastards, and you are probably better off with a different type of filtration. The ones that hang of the back are good enough. the water needs to cycle for around 3 weeks, or until your water levels get into the norm. Get a test kit and monintor the ammonia nitrite etc. Plastic plants work fine. Get wood for your piranas to hide in.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
I would go with two reds because you don't want to seperate the pygos, or go get a rhom or any serrasalmus species if you want just one.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Man you have a long way to go...

You should get a single Serra specie (like Spilo or Rhom) or no more than 3 Reds if you like shoaling Ps, upgrading to a 55-60g tank when they reach about 5-6" (depending on fish aggression)!

...i don't like under gravel filters (UGF), i recommend powerfilters or any other filter (You can get Aquaclear 300-500 for your tank, you can use it if upgrading)...IMO it's better for Ps...if you keep your UGF you need about 1 1/2-2" of gravel...with a powerfilter 1/2-1" is enough...!

...you should cycle your tank for about 30 days (you can use Biospira for faster cycle)...!

You should add driftwood, plants and rocks as hidding places...!

It's recommended to get a powerhead to exercise your Ps (they love it)...!

...always keep your Ps well fed and comfortable upgrading if it's necessary...!

...and read this forum posts so you can learn and make your fish happy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts