Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been recently checking out a 2003 thread where members wer showing off their tanks and I noticed that MANY memebers have overcrowded P tanks. When I arrived here as a newbie I was told that 3 reds is the max I can put in a 55 gal. But I saw tons of members with 4-5 reds, a pleco, aggressive cichets in one 55gal. Thats just one example. Most of u might say, " I'm sure those tanks are temporary untill they outgrow them" , but the P's in these tanks are like 6-7 inches already. Its just wierd that so many ppl say 20gal per P and so many ppl ignore this rule. So can I put more P's and fish in my 55gal? I would like to hear from all the tank overstockers if u pease. Thanks

· Registered
542 Posts
i've had 4 rbps in my 60 gallon for about 1.5years. they grew to be about 8" there. i think that is a good number for a tank that size. not 20g/per fish rule but it worked out fine for me. my opinon on the 20gallon per fish rule is that it's just there guide people. as you become more aware of what your ps are capable of, then you take advantage of it.

· Registered
114 Posts
I had a 55 gallon tank with an oscar, 5 red bellies and a bunch of jack demspey fry. The piranha eventually ate everything. Then my friend killed the piranha. Rules for how many fish per gallon can only be guidelines. Adequate filtration and tank layout can increase the number of fish you can keep.
Anybody you tells me how I "should" keep my fish is retarded.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
You can do it. Hell, you can even cram a 12" rhom in a 20g tank, but before you do, ask yourself this question: what does really matter to you? Keeping healthy fish that have enough swimming room and are comfortable in their tank, or just stuff as many fish in your tank as possible, probably making their lives miserable?

That people say they have tons of fish in their tank doesn't mean those fish are better off, or even healthy/comfortable. But it doesn't necessarily mean the opposite either, however.
Piranha are territorial and hierarchical fish: people can choose to ignore that, but that's their choice - sooner or later they'll end up posting some "Help, everything's going wrong" thread, trying to fix the mess they intentionally created.

The xx-gallons-per fish rule is indeed a guideline (but one that keeps the well-being of your fish in mind), but it's starting to become an obsolete one. Not gallonage determines how many fish can be kept in a certain tank: for example, a 50g could be a high, long, bowfront or hexagon tank, and all support a different amount of fish.
If you want an accurate suggestion of how many fish fit your tank, we need to know the dimensions (foot print equals surface area, and that's the determining factor, nothing else) - the amount of gallons is too vague to base any solid recommendations on.

mshaughnessy: retarded indeed - why should anyone bother wasting words of (well-meant) advice on people like you, if that's how you see it?

· Registered
2,462 Posts
^ dam Juda how u be thinking and typing like that man.^

well Juda has a POINT most people that own piranha have OVERSTOCKED tanks.... and u cant do anything about ...but YOU can DO something about YOUR tank...if u decide to add more Ps to your 55gal then go ahead... just dont start a thread on why u lost a few Ps

· Registered
127 Posts
I started out with 9 and after about a year and a half now i've got 5. They're around 6-7" a piece but ive noticed that 5 is definitely the max i can have in my 75 gallon tank because once they killed off number 6 they stopped fighting.

· Peace....Through Superior Firepower
10,552 Posts
Mr. Xingu said:
Is a 150 gallon aquarium plenty of room for 10 piranha?
[snapback]842466[/snapback]​
No ...

And Cobra ,
Put a hundred in there , its all good ...Who cares right ? everybody else does it ...What a Joke .

Ever Hear of getting a bigger tank ? To Adequatley House your Fish properly ?

· Registered
1,498 Posts
I have 5 reds in a 55g.The only reason is because they are not even 4" yet and they don't need anything bigger.I will eventually by a 125g.When I get it I might add a tern or something.If I have room.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Cobra said:
Good advice Judazz, for your information my 55gal is standard ( L:48 in, W: 12in, H: 20 in). In your opinion is that enuff surface area for more piranha or other fish?
[snapback]845367[/snapback]​
Temporarily, it's enough for 3-5 juvenile pygo's: the more you have, the sooner you'll have to upgrade. And keep in mind that a 8" or bigger fish won't be able to turn around properly in a 12" deep tank, regardless of the number of fish you have in there.
The length and height are fine, but it's the depth of your tank that makes it rather useless as a piranha tank in the long term - but as a grow-out tank, it's fine.

· This f*cking Guy!
8,936 Posts
I had 4 in one tank and i think 6 in my other tank.
both were 55's
Fish were about 6-7 inches long. The one with the 4 P's they used to have territory problems. stayed apart from each other, unless I was feeding them
The other tank, wth 5-6 p's, were ALWAYS shoaling. Didnt have ANY fins nips.

Keep in mind however, they were stil small, at only about 6-7 inches.

· Registered
104 Posts
i plan on putting 5 4-5" ps in my 66 gal... shouldnt be to bad... im waiting on the drift wood them im gonna put them all in the new tank....
(1 already in the new tank, 4 in my old tank.... waiting for my driftwood... cant wait!!!!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.