Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I think my tanks cycled properly, the nitrite and Ammonia levels are 0 which is good but im still having problems with Nitrate. Im doing a 15% water change every other day but still no joy. I also have 2 Nitrate sachets in my external canister to help with nitrate levels but again no joy. This has been 3 weeks now, the fish are all fine and I always remove unwanted food straight away, I also have two plecos 1 x 13" and 1 x 4" to clean the tank and 5 rbps in a 60G tank.

What else can I do, do plants or anything increase of decrease nitrate, is nitrate problems only solved by water changes if so does that mean Im going to do a water change every other day for the rest of their lives??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

T

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
Test the nitrate level of your water source. How different is it compared to your tanks?

I assume when you say nitrate sachets, you are talking about nitrate removing resins. They need to be "recharged" in a strong salt solution if you are going to reliably use it. That makes putting them in a canister filter a pain... The duration between recharging depends on your current nitrate level. You will have to monitor nitrates and if it starts to increase... than it's time to recharge. They really aren't necessary unless your tap also has high nitrates. If your water source is good, then I would just stick to the water changes. You will need a LOT of plants to even put a significant dent in nitrates.

BTW, you never mentioned how high your nitrates are... what do you consider "high"?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my dip test thingy has levels between 0 -125p/mg and my tank is on 75p/mg. Im in the uk so not sure if these readings are the same format as anywhere else, anyway thats the readings im getting and I thought my Nitrates should be between 25 - 50. Also you mention recharging the nitrate sachets, how do I do this, ive lost the instruction manual telling me how to do it.

Also does anyone have those test kits Interpet Easy Test Master Kit that have 4 vials with it that test nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and PH as Ive lost the instructions for that also and need to know how to use the others other than Nitrate test.

Thanks in advance

T

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I thought I said, my Nitrates now are 75p/mg and im doing water changes every other day at 15%, also my Nitrite and Ammonia is 0 so the biolfiltration is fine.

thanks

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.