Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes On and Sometimes Off

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
They need lights out time in order to sleep
I dont use bright lights, only atinic blue or 50/50 unless im taking pictures, sunlight does the rest.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I only use one tube light (don't know how many watts, though), and placed sheets of paper between the tube light and the water to dimm it.
My p's are just as active when the lights are on...

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I have my lights on a timer and they are on from 9 AM to 7 PM. I also have live plants so my lights are the full brightness

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I turn mine off when I go to bed and put them back on when I get up.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I use very little light. Only 5-6hrs a day. And once in a while I don't use them. I never use bright light its just scares the crap out of them.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I fainally got my reds and caribe kinda used to light. They swim all over and arn't as skittish. I am now working on my rhom, he is only bout a 2 incher and still is frightened of light.

Sometimes on sometimes off.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would have voted always off before I decided to try out the electrical tape wrapped around like a cany cane and they're just as active this way...I have a double strip 48" light housing but I only need one of the lights actually in there wrapped with the tape and its enough light to see them well and take great vids and pics and not too much light to where they freak out when I turn it on.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
i voted somtimes on/off ,i have mine on a timer comes on at 4pm and goes off 1am ,i have used lights only 1 36'' tube since they were babies and are ok with light i think if you use a timer they get used to a routine and when lights come on they dont even move and dont mind at all

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
My room is made in one of the 2 garages we have. During the days I have work, its completely dark in my room for them to sleep. When I get home, thats when they wake up and get all active with the regular room light. Before going to sleep, I turn off the room light and turn on the tank light which is blue until it gets dark for them when I go to work again.

Day time in the tank when I come home, Twilight in the tank when Im sleeping, and nighttime when i go to work.

They actually like the cycle.. not skittish anymore, even when I tap on the tank.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I keep my lights on for as long as I'm awake (usually some 16-18 hours per day), unless I go out at night.
Seems long, but my reds haven't complained about fatigue or lack of sleep yet

1 - 20 of 26 Posts