Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got an 8ft tank which has no lids....

I want to add lights and i was wondering if i jst built a canopy and attached the lights to that...would it be ok?

Or should i get glass cut to fit my tank?

WHere would i go to get this glass too?

thanks

· Registered
3,149 Posts
i currently will be doing the same. IMHO i would get a glass, plexi, or some plywood coated with water sealent (protector)....shop around. On my 6ft i am thinking about getting a 1/4" or a litte thicker top. i need to shop around too. only time will tell.

· Registered
5,349 Posts
well wood will not let the light in. and glass is a good idea might be $$. . what i did was went to homedepot and got some plexie glass

· Registered
3,149 Posts
Fresh2salt said:
well wood will not let the light in. and glass is a good idea might be $$. . what i did was went to homedepot and got some plexie glass
[snapback]851228[/snapback]​
what i meant was get plyboard cut 4-5" rectangle, add plexi on top of there and put lights on top of plexi or glass - that way light will shine through.

· Registered
498 Posts
1/4" or 6mm glass is cheaper then plywood, especially when you factor in the cost of waterproofing the wood....Plexi and Lexan and much more expensive the glass.
I work in the biz, so trust me on this and go to your local glass shop with the sizes you need....Shop around as glass stores price differently according to local market conditions. For example, one may charge $5.00/foot and another may charge $6.
It could add up to a substantial savings for you in the long run.

· Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks speedy,

ill talk to my dad and uncles since theyre in the construction biz and know alot of people in diffrent areas so maybe i will finding something good..

THanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.