Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i'm new to piranha keeping..i have a 50 ltr tank cycling at the moment i just want to find out something.i have just changed my carbon filter to the polyester one. i'll leave it in for about a week.. i have to get a nitrate kit, should i get a bacteria booster? and also should i put a few guppies in now or when i'm finished the last stress zyme dose on the 14th day

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
its about 2 and a quarter feet x 1 and a 3rd..and i hope to keep 4-5 babys until february and then i will get a juwel 180 for them.
Maybe it will work but only for a month because redbellies do grow very fast. I say do alot of water changes 2-3 during the week and have good filteration. Piranhas do produce alot of waste. Take out any leftover food.

Agree with coldfire, Get some bio-spira, that should help the cycle get started.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
keep your eyes open for nipping G/L

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
A 50L tank is only about 13 US gallons. That's relatively tiny. And even the 180L is only about 47.5 US gallons... In either case you're talking about tanks that are too small for the fish you are intending to put into them. I would suggest picking up three red bellies at about the size of a UK 20p piece. Nothing bigger than a 50p piece FOR SURE. If you can't find them this small then wait...

The reason why you don't want to be putting too many in there is because they grow fairly fast and will start to attack each other, even possibly killing each other. By going with three you're minimizing that. And the three will likely be able to live in your final tank size, though it may still be slightly cramped.

If you're wondering about the bio-spira the other guys here are talking about, it's a mixture of good bacteria that people add to their tanks in order to seed the good bacteria necessary for the process of breaking down wastes in the fish tank. If you're not familiar with something called 'the nitrogen cycle' then you have a bit of reading to do before you get your new fish. Here's a link to an article here on PFury that will explain this for you:

http://www.piranha-fury.com/information/article.php?id=18

If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I see that you're from London, but originally from Ireland, so there may be some measurements or products not available to you over there that are to the folks here in North America, particularly my neighbours to the south in the USA. Nevertheless, we have quite a few European members and everyone will be willing to help out as much as possible.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
i didnt even see he put 50L....i was thinknig gallons

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
i didnt even see he put 50L....i was thinknig gallons
When I saw the pic of the tank it looked like a 10 gallon to me. It's sad that I know the scale of lots of fake plants from having worked in a pet store for over a year. But that's the way it goes, I guess...

Also. I should not that the biospira may not be available in England for purchase and you may have to do a fishless cycle. I know it's not available in Canada. (That I've ever seen - save ONE online company.)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
with a tank that small....if you have more then 2 your prob going to see some fin nipping

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
friend of mine had 3- 3/4" redz in a 5gal....after 2 months they all died off from fighting

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
the babys will be about 1 inch in length.. ( )
Your best bet is to wait til you get a bigger tank and then purchase three.

·
Registered
775 Posts
yeah i had three baby reds in a 10 gallon tank and one of them had a chunk taken out of his back. nice looking tank though. I would wait to get ps becaues they do better in groups of 3 or more IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts