Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was gone for the weekend and when i came back i noticed that the rocks and gravel in my tank had started to turn a bit brown...i have white rocks and gravel...also there are spots on the glass of my tank that are turning brown as well...i was wondering how i should clean those rocks and also if there is a way i can stop this...it makes my tank look nasty...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
either your rocks and gravel are cheap and loosing their colour, or you have fish poo, or algea growth.

·
"The Dancing Banana Man"
7,760 Posts
Maybe get a snail?
Not sure if piranha's go after them but what ever you put in, there is that slight rish of it being on the menu.
either way, self cleaning the rocks and the sides is a sure bet. Just takes time.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
snails never do a great job, just buy a common pleco, it will take car of that no problem

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
RHOM said:
it's algea growing
yes it is a form of algae most likely. best thing to use to remove it from glass with ease is poly filter wool, or the use of another cloth or substance that is not toxic and has no materials that will break of from the unit.
good luck

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Water changes and gravel cleaning along with a pleco should do the trick.

also, driftwood that is not properly prepared also discolors the water and makes it look like crap. But since you didn't say you have driftwood in there I would agree that it's algae.

·
Captain Britannia
4,817 Posts
i does sound like algae .i clean my glass with a sponge which has a soft scourer (for washing up) it does not scratch the glass but make sure you dont pick up any gravel in it as this does scratch the glass.
you can remove the rock and clean them under hot water but i would not recomend white as they do discolour easily

1 - 13 of 13 Posts